This month’s employee spotlight is someone who is very energetic, is very involved on campus, and is a big Packer fan. Teri Ternes works with the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. She has 3 children, 4 grandchildren and a dog. In her position, no day is the same.
Name: Teri Ternes
Position at UWGB: University Services Assoc II
Summary of what you do: Administrative support services in the office of the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences
How long have you been employed: September 9, 2006
Brief history of employment with UWGB: I began my career at UWGB under interim Dean Fergus Hughes and Associate Dean Regan A.R. Gurung. Fortunately I am a self-starter as my predecessor had already left for her new position in the Chancellor’s office. However I was left with detailed instruction from a very organized individual [thank you Becky!!]. I perform various duties for current Dean Scott Furlong and Associate Dean Donna Ritch [I got lucky here too…awesome supervisors!!]. Some of my duties include setting up the Academic Excellence Symposium, preparing for conferences and general meetings, assisting students and faculty, overseeing EMBI budgets, working with the Czech Slovak Voice Competition, arranging travel for faculty and staff, editing the CLAS Newsletter. I am the Admin Assistant for UWGB’s chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society. I’ve been actively involved on the University Staff Committee [formerly Classified Staff Advisory Council] currently serving as chair for the Professional Development committee. I am a member of the Emergency Operations Committee.
Three words that describe you: Energetic, organized, willing to help others
Personal interests: Cooking, scrap booking, gardening, veggin’ in the sun!
Random facts/interests: I like to eat…almost anything except anchovies!!
– Are you messy or organized? Organized
– Best vacation you’ve been to? Girlfriends trip to Puerto Vallarta
– Describe what you were like at age 10. A little girl who loved playing w/her dolls.
– Do you have a favorite newspaper, blog? FB page: I Grew Up In Port Washington – fun to reminisce on your hometown!
– Do you recall any embarrassing moment at work? Yes, the day I interviewed – I didn’t know my way around campus and was running late; asked a gentleman how to get to Theatre Hall [dah, I was standing at the bottom of the outside stairwell]; later found out it was Professor Brian Sutton!
– Favorite travel spot? Door County!!
– If you could interview one person (dead or alive) who would it be? Princess Diana
– If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Veggie Pizza
– If you were an animal what would you be? Dog
– If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it? Me, Myself and Who?
– If your house was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save? Photos
– Least favorite Food? Anchovies…hmm, not sure I ever had ‘em but they look gross!
– People would be surprised if they knew: I like mustripen [no it’s not blood sausage!!]
– Tell us a little about yourself. Born and raised in Port Washington Wisconsin, attended St. Mary’s Catholic School and PWHS; played piano & the glockenspiel in grade school; was in HS choir and musicals, member of the PW Drill Team/rifle bearer during HS, Girl Scout, traveled after HS before attending LTC for Medical Assistant, moved to GRB in ’78, Cub Scout/Boy Scout den mother, Girl Scout leader, manager Girls/Women’s soccer team for GB Metro, like to have fun, like to shop
– Tell us a little bit about your family. Youngest of 4 children; born in Port Washington Wisconsin, married to husband John in ’78, 3 children, 4 grandchildren, and a dog!
– Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us? Went zip lining in Montana – not at all like around here.
– Tell us three things most people don’t know about you. I like rearranging furniture and cleaning the bathroom!!
– Top 3 life highlights? Birth of our 3 kids, marriage of 2 children
– What advice would you give to recent new hires? Don’t hesitate to ask questions, participate in all that is offered, walk campus – it’s beautiful
– What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far? Listen, respect others opinions
– What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most? Meeting and greeting others!
– What book did you read last? Rediscovering Jesus
– What books are at your bedside? Mother Love [my prayer book]
– What children’s character can you relate with most? Why? Micky Mouse…loved that show as a kid!!
– What did you want to be when growing up? A nurse
– What do you always want to try and never did? Hot air balloon ride
– What do you like most about your job? Not routine!!
– What do you like to do in your spare time? Work outside, ride my bike
– What do you like to do on your days off? Be outdoors, cook, clean
– What does a typical day look like for you? Up @ 5AM, coffee on, sit in dim lighting sipping coffee & watching news, off to work @ 7:10
– What else do you do for fun? Be silly…life’s too short to be ‘stuffy’!!
– What is the first concert you attended? John Denver
– What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? Hmm…never really thought of this. I probably would pay off my bills, maybe buy a new car and then give the rest to those less fortunate.
– What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years? Be sensitive to others!
– What is your biggest pet peeve? Lying.
– What is your family like? Simple, fun, honest
– What is your favorite meal? Beef roast
– What is your favorite sport? Soccer
– Hidden talent? Leafing
– What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work? Biking, hiking, babysitting the grandkids, volunteering
– What one food do you wish had zero calories? Chocolate – isn’t this everyone’s wish?
– What phobias do you have? Falling in a dark hole!!
– What places have you lived in? Port Washington, Milwaukee, Sheboygan & Hobart Wisconsin; San Diego, California
– What was your favorite book, toy, or outfit as a child? I had a little brown stuffed dog; wonder what ever happened to him?
– What would people never guess you do in your role? I’ve been honored to be the preparer of EMBI’s Earth Caretaker Award.
– What’s your favorite thing to do in Green Bay? Enjoy all the Packer hoop-lah on game day, even outside of the stadium!!
– Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Retired and traveling
– Where is your favorite place to eat? Friday night fish fry @ Farr’s Grove!!
– Where is your home town? Port Washington Wisconsin
– Where would you like to go on a dream vacation? Ireland or Germany