If you have ever attended one of UWGB’s Musicals or DanceWorks you have seen the work of Denise Carlson-Gardner. She is very passionate about teaching the art of dance to students and would like to invite everyone to this year’s DanceWorks production on April 9th and 10th. Learn a little more about Denise in this month’s employee spotlight.
Name: Denise Carlson-Gardner
Position at UWGB: Lecturer, Theatre and Dance Program; Artistic Director, UWGB DanceWorks
Summary of what you do: I teach 12 different dance courses, choreograph all of our musicals, Direct and Coreograph our annual DanceWorks concert. I am advisor to 3 student dance orgs.
How long have you been employed: 20 years
Brief history of employment with UWGB: I am the main dance instructor for our dance and musical theatre programs. I teach all genres and classes except for one… a one person program
Three words that describe you: Fun, compassionate, loyal
Personal interests: I love all things dance, hip hop music, sewing, crafting
Random facts/interests: Husband, Steve – Chemical Engineer, Jacobs Engineering; Daughter, Natalie – LA based Professional Dancer with MSA Agency.
(Answer any of the following):
– If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you? Sandra Bullock
– If you could change one thing about working here, what would it be? Air conditioning
– If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? pizza
– What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most? Teaching and providing a safe, welcoming atmosphere for students to learn, grow and enjoy dance
– What book did you read last? Gone Girl
– What books are at your bedside? A notebook to write down choreography ideas
– What do you like most about your job? Sharing dance and music with students
– What do you like to do in your spare time? Talk to my daughter
– What do you like to do on your days off? Sew
– What is the first concert you attended? Aerosmith, the first time around
– What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? a house in California!
– What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years? Not to stress over the little things and stay true to yourself.
– What is your family like? Fun, interesting, compassionate, and motivated
– What is your favorite meal? Thanksgiving Day meal (and Italian food)
– Hidden talent? I am multi-rhythmic, I can write forward with my right hand and backwards with my left hand at the same time!
– What is your favorite quote? “Be the best you that you can be” and BANJI which is a saying in the hip hop movement Be Authentic Never Jeopardize Individuality
– What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work? Sewing, crafting, movies
– What one food do you wish had zero calories? Cheesecake
– What tv show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love? Breaking Bad
– What would people never guess you do in your role? Help students conquer fears and gain self confidence which then helps them in all aspects of life
– What’s the one thing, you can’t live without? Diet Coke