Nuts provide a host of health benefits, including lowering cholesterol levels, reducing risk for heart disease and stroke, better weight control, and lower insulin needs for people with diabetes.
This nutty salad is chock full of vegetables and complementary flavors.
- 3 cups roughly chopped broccoli florets
- ½ medium head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 to 12 large lettuce leaves
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes cut into wedges
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, raisins, onions, bell pepper, and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil.
- Toss with the combined salad ingredients and serve on lettuce leaves with tomato wedges on individual salad plates.
Makes 6 servings
Each serving contains 271 calories, 16 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrates.
Recipe from the StayWell Company, LLC