UW-Green Bay students can rest easy in the housing on campus with Gail Sims-Aubert as the Director of Residence Life. Gail has been overseeing daily operations and all facets of student housing at UW-Green Bay since October 2013.
Gail was born and raised in a small town, Bruning, Nebraska (population 300). She is one of five children and a first generation college graduate with a BA in Broadcast Sales/Management and Master’s Degree in Speech Communication. Gail religiously reads her hometown newspaper every week (Hebron Journal Register) because it keeps her “in the know” with small town life. Gail is married and has two wiener dogs, Thelma and Louise. She is an organized, thoughtful and detail-oriented person who loves fitness, cycling, watching college basketball (Go Phoenix!) and reading.
Gail loves working with her staff of professionals and students, because no two days are ever the same. One of the most important things Gail has learned in life is to say what’s on your mind, because life may not give you a second chance.
Position at UWGB: Director of Residence Life
Summary of what you do: Oversee the daily operations of all facets of student housing at UWGB
How long have you been employed: Since October 2013
Brief history of employment with UWGB: Have been here just over 18 months
Three words that describe you: Organized, Thoughtful and Detail-Oriented
Personal interests: Fitness, Cycling, Reading
Random facts/interests: Born and raised in a small town in Nebraska (pop. 300). My husband and I have 2 wiener dogs (Thelma and Louise)
– Are you messy or organized? Organized
– Best vacation you’ve been to? Recently explored the Mayan pyramids in Mexico
– Describe what you were like at age 10. Shy. Very, very shy
– Do you have a favorite newspaper, blog? I religiously read my hometown newspaper every week (Hebron Journal Register) because it keeps me “in the know” with small town life.
– Do you have a favorite quote? “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.” Will Rogers
– If you could change one thing about working here, what would it be? The winter weather!
– If you could interview one person (dead or alive) who would it be? My Dad. He passed away when I was quite young, and I’d love to pick his brain about a lot of things.
– If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Pizza!
– If your house was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save? My parents wedding photo
– Least favorite Food? Brussel sprouts
– Motto or personal mantra? Be proud of yourself every day!
– Tell us a little about yourself. I am one of five children, and a first generation college student. I have a BA in Broadcast Sales/Management and a Master’s Degree in Speech Communication. My husband (Alan) and I have been married for 15 years.
– What advice would you give to recent new hires? Never feel bad about asking questions!
– What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most? Working with my staff – both the professionals and the students
– What book did you read last? Follow You Home
– What books are at your bedside? Anything, I read a wide variety of things
– What did you want to be when growing up? Hair Stylist
– What do you like most about your job? No two days are ever the same!
– What do you like to do in your spare time? Pretty much anything outside.
– What do you like to do on your days off? Pedicures!
– What does a typical day look like for you? Lots of meetings.
– What else do you do for fun? Clean my house – I know it’s odd.
– What is an ability you wish you had? Be two places at once.
– What is the first concert you attended? Belinda Carlisle
– What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? Pay off my husband’s student loans.
– What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years? Say what’s on your mind – life may not give you a second chance.
– What is your favorite movie and book? “So, I Married and Axe Murderer” (funniest movie every!) “This Much I Know is True”
– What is your favorite sport? I love to watch college basketball.
– What one food do you wish had zero calories? Chocolate
– What phobias do you have? Heights
– What tv show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love? Say Yes to the Dress and Walking Dead (opposite ends of the spectrum!)
– What was your favorite book, toy, or outfit as a child? My Kathy Quick Curl doll
– What’s on your bucket list? Going on safari in Africa
– What’s the one thing, you can’t live without? Love
– Where is your favorite place to eat? El Potrero (a small Mexican restaurant back home)
– Where is your home town? Bruning, NE
– Where would you like to go on a dream vacation? Italy