The University of Wisconsin (UW) is embarking on a complete redesign of its current classification and compensation structure. The goal of the Title & Total Compensation Project will be to develop new systems that will enable institutions to continue to attract and retain the best talent.
For Title & Total Compensation Project background information related to job titles, job descriptions, compensation, and benefits, please see this handout.
Managers and Division Leaders – would you like a poster for your area about Title & Total Compensation Project? Please print off this poster and showcase within your department!
Recent UW System Updates:
- Updated job titles & standard job descriptions are on track to be posted online by the end of the calendar year 2019. The TTC project team will work over the summer to provide a proposed match for each employee to an updated job title. This step will allow employees to discuss their specific job title and standard job description with managers. Employees and managers can anticipate fall training in preparation for employee-manager conversations in winter 2019-2020. The fall training will offer instructions on where to find the updated titles and job descriptions, the new job title structure, and the next steps. This work sequence will allow for more productive and informed employee-manager conversations.
- Thank you for participating in the Employee Benefits Preferences Survey. We were pleased that forty-seven percent (18,634) of UW benefits-eligible employees took the survey to help the UW assess employee priorities, needs, and wants related to benefits. Our project partner, Mercer Consulting, is developing a summary of the survey with a comparative analysis of benefits other employers with similar workforces are offering. We anticipate that this summary will be made available to employees in fall 2019. The TTC project team will develop benefits enhancement recommendations that will be shared with employees, based on Mercer’s analyses, by the end of the calendar year 2019.
In the Queue:
- Review and Revision of DRAFT Titles and Standard Job Descriptions, estimated completion: June 2019 (Q2)
- Summary of Results for the Employee Benefits Preferences Survey & Benefits Value Analysis, estimated completion: September 2019 (Q3)
- Proposed Titles and Standard Job Descriptions Posted Online, estimated completion: December 2019 (Q3)
- Titles and Standard Job Descriptions Implementation, estimated completion: March 2020 (Q1)
For up-to-date information about the Title & Total Compensation Project, please see the UW System Title & Total Compensation Project Website. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the UW System FAQ page.
UW-Green Bay Updates:
- UW-Green Bay HR has started conversations with University Staff and Academic Staff governance groups related to a potential appeals process for title determinations.
- UW-Green Bay has an institutional T&TC project team, whose goal is to engage with subject matter experts and stakeholders. Feedback and information about T&TC flows to and from the project team. A listing of members of the UW-Green Bay institutional T&TC project team can be found here.
- The Office of Human Resources and Workforce Diversity keeps employees informed on project updates through their weekly HR Connect newsletter and HR Connect Blog as well as presenting T&TC updates at monthly governance meetings.
- The next T&TC open forums will likely be scheduled in late summer or early fall. Please watch the HR Connect newsletter and HR Connect Blog for updates.