Throw this in the crock pot before kick-off this Sunday, and serve up delicious warm bowls of chili at half-time!
- 2 lb lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 C water
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 lb tomatoes, chopped (about 3 C)
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 C canned kidney beans (use no-salt-added to reduce sodium)
- Brown meat in a large skillet with half of vegetable oil. Add water. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in a second skillet. Add garlic and onion, and cook over low heat until onion is softened. Add flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic-onion-flour mixture to the cooked meat. Then add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for ½ hour.
- PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
- COOK TIME: 2 Hours
- YIELDS: 9 Servings
- SERVING SIZE: 8 oz Soup
- CALORIES: 274
- TOTAL FAT: 10 G
- SATURATED FAT: 2 G
- CHOLESTEROL: 65 MG
- SODIUM: 159 MG
Recipe from StayWell