It may be time to do a little redecorating at home! This doesn’t require moving the couch, but rather, making some simple changes in your environment that can help you eat less.
An article in the Annual Review of Nutrition details how factors such as food storage and placement can affect how much we eat. For example, the less effort it takes to get food, the more we munch. Large portions and packages also may lead to overindulging, several studies suggest.
Here are some ways to help you put these findings to good use:
- Stow away sweets and other temptations in a high cupboard.
- Don’t place serving bowls on the table during meals, since they encourage seconds.
- Replace the cookie jar with a bowl of fruit.
- Inside the fridge, disguise unhealthy foods in foil and push them toward the back.
- Move smaller bowls and plates to the front of the cabinet, so you can use them for everyday eating.