The University of Wisconsin (UW) is embarking on a complete redesign of its current classification and compensation structure. The goal of the Title & Total Compensation Project will be to develop new systems that will enable institutions to continue to attract and retain the best talent.
Recent UW System Updates:
- UW System job titles and descriptions are being modernized. The goal is to have all UW System titles and job descriptions represent the work commonly done across the system. A new standardized job description format is being implemented that is concise, consistent, and aligns with the Job Framework. While this standardized job description format is simpler, it does not change daily tasks as currently assigned. Some titles used today may not change. New titles are being created for instances where (1) current job titles do not accurately describe the work being performed or (2) current titles do not match those in the market for comparable work.
- Training is being developed for Fall 2019 to engage human resources staff, managers, and employees in conversations about the transition to the new, modernized and market-informed Job Framework. As a result of this transition, all UW System positions will be mapped to a Job Family, Job Sub-Family, and Standard Job Title and Description.
In the Queue:
- Review and Revision of DRAFT Standard Job Descriptions, estimated completion: June 2019 (Q2)
- Summary of Results for the Employee Benefits Preferences Survey, estimated completion: September 2019 (Q3)
- Benefits Valuation Analysis, estimated completion: September 2019 (Q3)
- Revised DRAFT Standard Job Descriptions, estimated completion: September 2019 (Q3)
For up-to-date information about the Title & Total Compensation Project, please see the UW System Title & Total Compensation Project website. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the UW System FAQ page.
UW-Green Bay Updates:
- UW-Green Bay HR has reached out to leaders in the Library and Athletics to identify subject matter experts from those UWGB departments who will be a part of SJD revision teams. The Athletics team is currently working in collaboration with Madison/UW System, and the Library team has not yet begun their work
- UW-Green Bay HR has started conversations with University Staff and Academic Staff governance groups related to a potential appeals process for title determinations.
- UW-Green Bay has an institutional T&TC project team, whose goal is to engage with subject matter experts and stakeholders. Feedback and information about T&TC flows to and from the project team. A listing of members of the UW-Green Bay institutional T&TC project team can be found here.
- The Office of Human Resources and Workforce Diversity keeps employees informed on project updates through their weekly HR Connect newsletter and HR Connect blog as well as presenting T&TC updates at monthly governance meetings.
- The next T&TC open forums will likely be scheduled in late summer or early fall. Please watch the HR Connect newsletter and HR Connect blog for updates.