Name: Charlie Schroeder
Position at UWGB: Office Assistant in the Financial Aid/Student Employment Office and the Human Resources Office
Summary of what you do: The bulk of what I do in the Financial Aid Office is related to Student Employment. I review the part-time/seasonal positions that employers want to post in PRO, which means making sure we have all of the necessary information about the position, reaching out to contacts as needed, researching and identifying scams, things like that. I also help the financial aid team with scanning and linking the documents that are required for processing FAFSA applications and mailing FAFSA Verification checklists and exit counseling letters. In HR I assist the Payroll staff with processing the biweekly payroll, sending timesheet reminders, and any other projects as needed. I’ve also gotten the opportunity to be a part of the Wellness Committee and design posters and other promotional/informational documents for the various events that they put on for employees.
How long have you been employed: I’ve been with Financial Aid since September or October of 2015, and I started in HR in May of 2016.
Personal interests: When I’m not at work or in class I’m usually playing videogames or watching Netflix. Since it’s my last semester as a student, things are sometimes pretty hectic and I like being able to just relax whenever I can.
Random facts/interests: I am 100% obsessed with cats. I treat the two that I have as my own as if they are my children. My grandma and I used to take in strays when I was growing up and try and ‘nurse them back to health’ and find them a permanent home. I think at one point we were caring for 6 at once. My uncle fosters cats from his local shelter that are old, sick, missing limbs, blind, etc.
– Any favorite line from a movie?
I can’t think of a favorite line from a movie, but I can recite every single line word-for-word from the movie Benchwarmers.
– Are you messy or organized?
I like to call it an organized mess. I plan out almost every aspect of my day on a to-do list in my calendar, but sometimes I over-organize to the point where things get cluttered, if that makes any sense.
– Best vacation you’ve been to?
Honestly I don’t think I’ve gone on a real vacation. The only think I can think of is going to Wisconsin Dells as a kid.
– Do you have an office nickname? What is it?
I don’t think so, at least not to my knowledge.
– Do you recall any embarrassing moment at work?
I’m very awkward in person, so I probably embarrass myself approximately 100000 times a day.
– If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
Emma Watson, just because she’s my favorite actress. I’m sure that would be an accurate portrayal, since we look nothing alike and I also don’t have a British accent, but it would still be pretty cool.
– If you could change one thing about working here, what would it be?
I honestly wish I was able to spend more time working. I love my job, especially when I’m able to interact with other students. I like being able to help with the more complicated things like understanding the FAFSA process, loan options, etc, because as a student myself, I know how confusing and overwhelming it is sometimes.
– If you could interview one person (dead or alive) who would it be?
J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin
– If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Macaroni and Cheese and salsa.
– If you were an animal what would you be?
Probably a bird. I think it would be pretty cool to fly around and explore different places.
– If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it? I don’t think I have the attention span to be able to write an entire book.
– If your house was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save?
– Least favorite Food?
Onions, mushrooms and fish.
– People would be surprised if they knew.
I was raised by my grandmother. I don’t know if it was a legal adoption or a guardianship-type thing, but she’s raised me essentially since the day I was born.
– Tell us a little bit about your family.
Growing up it was pretty much just me and my grandma. I do have a pretty close relationship with my half-brother and sister and our mom, but there isn’t really much as far as extended family. My grandma is pretty close with her sister and I try to go back to my hometown and visit as often as I can.
– What advice would you give to recent new hires?
Get involved and learn about as many new things as you can. Talk with the people you work with and try and network with others, it’s super helpful to have resources outside of your immediate office. Especially as a student employee, your supervisors and other staff members can be really beneficial in helping you figure out your career interests and grow in your professional life, as well as just your life in general.
– What book did you read last?
The Game of Thrones Series. I don’t think I’ve actually sat down and read a book that isn’t a textbook in a while though.
– What celebrity do people think you look like? I don’t think anyone has ever told me that I look like a celebrity.
– What did you want to be when growing up?
Probably an actress, even though I was the shyest kid in the entire world and never did anything acting related ever.
– What do you like most about your job?
I really like that both the HR staff and the Financial Aid staff treat me like a part of the team. Knowing that they trust my decision making has helped me gain a lot more confidence in what I can do.
– What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don’t have that much spare time between classes, homework, work, and preparing for graduation. When I do have free time I usually play videogames or watch youtube videos.
– What do you like to do on your days off?
Absolutely nothing, if I can manage it.
– What does a typical day look like for you?
I get up usually at like 6:30, then I’m in work or class until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I spend a few hours working on homework or doing research for group projects, and then hopefully I have time to sit down and relax for a while before going to bed. Rinse and Repeat!
– What else do you do for fun?
I like to go to concerts and music festivals. I’ve gone to Warped Tour in Milwaukee every year since 2012.
– What is an ability you wish you had?
– What is the first concert you attended?
We the Kings, I think.
– What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
I would buy my grandma a house and make sure she had enough money to retire.
– What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
To trust myself.
– What is your biggest pet peeve?
I absolutely hate being late.
– What is your favorite movie and book?
I can probably tell you everything there is to know about the world of Harry Potter.
– What is your favorite sport?
I’m not talented or coordinated enough to play sports myself, but I’m a big soccer fan.
– Hidden talent?
Uhh..I don’t think I have any hidden talents.
– What one food do you wish had zero calories?
Cheesecake. And fried pickles.
– What phobias do you have?
Bugs. Even butterflies make me nervous, which is slightly embarrassing to admit.
– What places have you lived in?
Marinette, WI, Menominee, MI, and I lived somewhere in Kansas for 6 months when I was like 4 years old. And obviously here in GB.
– What tv show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love?
Gossip Girl. Once upon a time I was also pretty obsessed with Keeping up with the Kardashians, which I think is worse.
– What was your favorite book, toy, or outfit as a child?
I don’t think I had a specific favorite anything as child, unless you count the outdoors. I probably would’ve slept outside if my grandma let me.
– What would people never guess you do in your role?
When I talk to people that I know back home in Marinette, or pretty much anyone outside of the people that know me at UWGB, they’re always surprised when I tell them anything about my job. They never seem to grasp that just because I’m a ‘student employee’, that doesn’t mean I don’t have responsibilities at work. They always seem shocked when I tell them I do things other than filing and sorting mail.
– What would you like to be famous for?
This is going to sound incredibly stupid and nerdy, but I would really like to be a well-known Twitch streamer or Youtuber. Not exactly ‘famous’ per say, but it would be pretty cool to make a name for myself within the gaming community.
– What’s on your bucket list?
Go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, go to the San Diego Comic Con, and to meet David Tennant.
– What’s the one thing, you can’t live without?
– Where is your home town?
– Where would you like to go on a dream vacation?
Name: Dorothy A. Metz
Position at UWGB: Office Assistant in Human Resources
Summary of what you do: I help around the office with any work that needs to be completed. I file student employment paperwork as well as putting the paperwork into our system. There are also projects that I can work on when assigned to them.
How long have you been employed: 2 months and a half
Brief history of employment with UWGB: Office Assistant in Human Resources
Three words that describe you: Nerdy, Outgoing, Loud
Personal interests: Writing, reading
Random facts/interests: I was the only person in my entire senior class to take a creative writing class.
– Any favorite line from a movie? The entire final monologue from The Fault in Our Stars spoken by Augustus Waters
– Are you messy or organized? Organized
– Best vacation you’ve been to? Moline, IL for my birthday when I was 9.
– Do you have a favorite quote? “To love is to destroy and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” –Cassandra Clare
– If you could interview one person (dead or alive) who would it be? I would interview Connor Franta.
– If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Mac n Cheese.
– If you were an animal what would you be? Giraffe.
– If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it? One Million Reasons Why I’m Here.
– If you were to write a self-help book, what would the topic be? How To Write a Novel in 100 Days.
– If your house was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save? My book box.
– Least favorite Food? Any type of seafood.
– People would be surprised if they knew: That I attended every single varsity boys soccer game my senior year of high school.
– Tell us three things most people don’t know about you. I sprained my knee by slipping on the carpet at my first job. I can read a book in 24 hours. I love DC Comics.
– Top 3 life highlights? = Getting accepted to UWGB. Being fourth row for my favorite band’s concert. Watching my high school’s boys’ basketball team win state.
– What book did you read last? What Light by Jay Asher
– What books are at your bedside? The entire Harry Potter collection.
– What did you want to be when growing up? I wanted to be a singer.
– What do you like most about your job? I like feeling like I’m helpful.
– What do you like to do in your spare time? I enjoy hanging out with my friends in my dorm or wherever.
– What do you like to do on your days off? Homework.
– What else do you do for fun? I go bowling a lot.
– What is the first concert you attended? The Cheetah Girls when I was 9.
– What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? Harry Potter Studio Tour tickets.
– What is your biggest pet peeve? Not turning off the lights before leaving a room.
– What is your favorite meal? My grandma’s rice hot dish.
– What is your favorite movie and book? Book: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two
– What is your favorite sport? Soccer
– Hidden talent? I can sing.
– What one food do you wish had zero calories? Chocolate.
– What would you like to be famous for? Writing a best-selling novel.
– What’s on your bucket list? Going to Harry Potter world.
– What’s the one thing, you can’t live without? My friends.
– What’s your favorite thing to do in Green Bay? Go on Target adventures.
– Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Graduating UWGB and going onto an amazing MFA program.
– Where is your favorite place to eat? Noodles and Company
– Where is your home town? La Crosse, WI
– Where would you like to go on a dream vacation? Brighton, England.