You know that exercise is important, but there are plenty of times you may not feel up to it. Here are eight ways to stay motivated to stick with your exercise program. Try at least one of these tips today. You’ll be glad you did!
- Choose activities you enjoy. Hate running? Don’t do it! Maybe you prefer walking around your neighborhood in the evening or taking an exercise class at the gym after work. If you enjoy the activity, you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Get others to join you. Whether it’s a family member, friend, or coworker, you can encourage each other to get out there and exercise even on days when you don’t feel like it.
- Do 10 minutes at a time. If fitting 30 minutes of exercise into your day feels too daunting, aim for two or three 10- to 15-minute bouts of activity.
- Plug it into your calendar. Schedule exercise sessions just like you would any other important event in your week.
- Focus on how you’ll feel afterward. Think about how much better you’ll feel, how much more energy you’ll have, and how glad you’ll be that you did it.
- Set goals. Do you want to lose weight? Run your first 5K? Get clear about your goal and create a plan for achieving it. Thinking about your goal can encourage you to exercise even when the couch is calling your name.
- Track your progress. Once you identify your goals, keep track of your achievements along the way. Seeing your progress can inspire you to keep going.
- Celebrate your success. Plan a reward for achieving milestones in your fitness journey. Choose non-food-related prizes, such as a new item of clothing, a pedicure, a night out with friends, or concert tickets.
Article from the StayWell Company, LLC