Todd M. HillhouseWhere did you graduate from?

• Postdoc fellowship – University of Michigan
    Phd – Virginia Commonwealth University
  • MS and BS – Northern Michigan University
What do you like to study?
  • My area of study is Neuropsychopharmacology. The name of my research lab is the “Pain and Addiction Neuropharmacology (PANE)” because we work to develop novel treatment for pain and addiction. There is a comorbidity between addiction and depression which allows us to evaluate novel treatments for addiction as well.

What got you interesting in this area you focus on studying?

• I have always found drugs interesting. Drugs can be used for “good” and “evil” which drives my interest. I like educating college students on drugs because it allows them to make an educated decision on what drugs they should and shouldn’t take.

What is your favorite part of teaching as a professor?

• My favorite part of teaching is when I see a student experience the “aha moment”. That moment is generally followed by an increase in self-confidence. Additionally, I enjoy teaching students that are generally interested in the course or topic because they generate really interesting questions.

What are you looking forward to with working at UWGB?

• I am excited to develop my lab and have students work on their own research projects. Additionally, I am excited to explore the possibilities of develop Neuroscience related course works (classes and/or a major/minor).

What are you hobbies or what do you like to do in your free time?

• My hobbies include woodworking, playing with my two kids and drinking delicious beer!