On February 10th to 22nd, 2020 the I Am Psyched exhibit will be hosted on the 4th floor of the Cofrin Library  to celebrate women of color in psychology. This event is being put on by Dr. Christine Smith along with some of her students, Joy Russ, Kailay Siggers, Hanette Kamanda, Leslie Lee, Addie Hunter, and Priyanka Bharadway.  This event has been created by the American Psychological Association’s Women’s Programs Office and now it will be coming to our campus. The students who helped put this event together helped to shed some light on what we should know about this event.  For more information this exhibit you can visit the I Am Psyched website.

What would you like people to know about this event?

Joy Russ: “Looking at how marginalized groups are treated and how they succeed in a field can truly be indicative of the field overall.”

Kailah Siggers: ” I would like people to know it is an amazing opportunity for people to learn more about how much or an impact women of color are making in the field of psychology, especially at a predominantly white institution.” 

How were you involved putting this event together?

Hanette Kamanda: “We all helped create the events for the week along with ideas for promote.” 

Leslie Lee: “I am putting a presentation together for the ‘I Am Psyched Talks’ to provide information about a woman of color who has contributed a great deal to psychology and her community.” 

Joy Russ: “I had Christine for a class my sophomore year and was recommended to join this independent study. As a group we all came up with ideas together and split up responsibilities.”

What did you get out of being involved in this event?

Addie Hunter: “I was able to make a wonderful group of friends. I became more educated on the problems at hand in the psychology field. I became more interested in the problems and am more aware of what is going on.”

Priyanka Bharadway: “I learned a lot about the past and present of women in color in psychology. We got to meet (Skype in) with various psychologist  in the field.”

Kailah Siggers: “I was able to feel a sense of empowerment by being a woman of color in the field of psychology.”