Swenty Headshot

1. When did you graduate? I graduated Spring of 2013
  2. What do you do now? I work for Georgia-Pacific as a Skilled Trades Recruiter. I work to recruit Mechanics, Electricians, Instrumentation Technicians and other maintenance roles for our facilities across the nation.
  3. Why did you major in psychology?  Like many of my peers, I think that Psychology found me. I originally set out to be an Education major but through a few classes and experiences I realized quickly that was not my path. I took Introduction to Psychology and Gods, Ghosts and Goblins with Dr. Gurung. I loved both of those classes. I talked about my readings to my friends. I stayed up late reading and studying. I never once grew tired of it and then it hit me, maybe this is what I should study. I have always wanted to find a way to help people and with the diversity that Psychology has, I knew I could find my place in it.
  4. What do you do for fun? I like to dabble in a lot of different things trying to find new and fun things to do. My biggest passion would be cooking. I absolutely love trying new recipes and challenging myself with creative ways to cook or feast. Luckily, I have a very willing boyfriend to try out all my new recipes on. I also love horseback riding. I have been riding since I was young and nothing is better than going home to go for a long ride with my horse. I also enjoy reading, painting projects and gardening.
  5. What academic experience or accomplishment are you most proud of? I am quite proud of two things- I know I am supposed to pick one but I just couldn’t pick! I am very proud to have received a Chancellor’s Medallion. I worked hard both in school, at work, and in my internships. Nothing is better than finally seeing all of your achievements come full circle and receiving a medallion for it. Also, it was pretty awesome to walk during graduation with it on. It is hanging up in my office at home now as a reminder of all the things I am capable of doing. My second though was being asked to be the guest speaker at the Psi Chi Induction Ceremony in 2015. It is such an honor to be asked back to your Alma Mater to tell your story and advice to the next generation. I never would have imagined doing it nor being asked.
  6. What’s your favorite movie, book, and TV show, related to psychology? I am all about the classics- so I love “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. I watched it in high school and bought it like a week after because I thought it was so good. I still have it and on rainy Sunday’s I usually pop it in and read a book with it playing in the background. Slightly strange- but so, so good.
  7. What an important goal or accomplishment you are currently working on? I am at a weird point in my life where I am at a good point in my career but I feel anxious to do more. I am debating going back to school to further my education in Human Resources. It is a big step to go back and start down a new path but I feel it is the right thing to do.