Alumn21. When did you graduate? I graduated in 2010 with a major in Psychology and two minors in Human Development and Studio Art. My intentions were to continue my education in the field of Professional Counseling and Art Therapy. During my internship in my final semester, I worked as a mentor at a school in Sheboygan, where I fell in love working with kids and in the educational setting. I graduated, then reenrolled immediately for my Art Education degree and license. I finally gave up my college life at UWGB in May of 2013 and went on to become an Art Educator in Rhinelander, WI.

2. What do you do now? I am just starting my 5th year as an Art Educator in the School DIstrict of Rhinelander. In my 5 years of teaching, I have been in every building and have taught all ages, K-12. Currently, I am working at our Elementary Charter School (grades K-5) as their Art Teacher and School Counselor, and at Central Intermediate School (grades 4-5) teaching Art.

3. Why did you major in psychology? I have always been intrigued by how the mind works and how we are influenced by outside factors that make us the way that we are. I have had personal experiences with various mental health issues that have spanned between family and friends and feel a significant amount of compassion for those who suffer from illnesses we cannot see. Additionally, I have a huge passion for the Arts and wanted to utilize my talents to help others cope with whatever it is they need. Self-expression is so incredibly powerful and I fully believe that tapping into an individuals personal creativity (be that art, music, movement, etc) can have powerful and positive influence on healing, coping and growing.

4. What do you do for fun? As I live in the Northwoods of WI, I have found new ways to entertain myself, as I don’t exactly have a mall or exciting nightlife near me 🙂 I got a Welsh Corgi when I first moved here and she is a huge part of my fun. Poppy and I go kayking together, she accompanies me on road trips to the UP, we camp and do lots of walks and/or snowshoe. I love reading, making art, visiting our local coffee shops, running and coming back to Green Bay to visit friends. And shop.

5. What academic experience or accomplishment are you most proud of? I am so proud of everything I have done for myself academically. I am currently wrapping up my School Counseling Master’s from Concordia University, and feel so blessed to still be able to utilize my previous experiences and degrees to fit a position that I am excited about, but one that I can also tailor to reflect who I am and what I believe. My district has been very supportive of my Master’s program and looks forward to me using my artistic tools to support our kids.

6. What’s your favorite movie, book, and TV show, related to psychology? Oh my gosh. I have to narrow this down!? By a landslide, I love the movies Freedom Writers (for both the teaching and psychology) and Black Swan. Columbine, by Dave Cullen was recommended by Dr. Martin during an Abnormal Psychology course and remains one of my favorite books to date. I just finished re-reading it and have passed it on to coworkers. As far as TV shows, I really get into the gross ones, like Criminal Minds, Hannibal, Law and Order, etc. I have also been enjoying Serial Killers podcasts during my longer runs as well.

7. What an important goal or accomplishment you are currently working on? As mentioned previously, I am wrapping up my Master’s degree in School Counseling. Upon completion, I have considered looking into getting my specialist license in Art Therapy, but we will see where life takes me first. I am just enjoying being almost done at this time. In the teaching world, I have been pushing my student’s art into the community as much as possible. I recently worked with my Art Department in the development of a K12 Art Show to be held at a local gallery here in town. This will be the first show of its kind here and I am super pumped and very proud to see my idea lifted off the ground with so much community support. It will be fantastic.