Syllabus Snippets

Required Statements

Disability Services

For more information see: http://www.uwgb.edu/disability-services/resources/faculty/

If you need accommodations due to a disability, you must provide appropriate documentation to the Disability Services Office (Student Services Building, Room 1700, 920-465-2841 or email dis@uwgb.edu). Accommodation Request form completed by DS office will be delivered by you to me to discuss and implement reasonable accommodations. It is important that you do this early in the term as some accommodations can take several weeks to arrange.
In accordance to UW-Green Bay policy, if you have a disability and need academic accommodations, please contact the Disability Services Office (465-2841, dis@uwgb.edu or Student Services Building Room1700) as soon as possible as some accommodations may take a several weeks to arrange. Once you are eligible for accommodations, you will need to contact me to discuss how accommodations will be implemented. To maintain the confidentiality of your request, please do not approach me before or after class to discuss your accommodation needs.
Consistent with federal laws and the policies of the University of Wisconsin, it is the policy of UW-Green Bay to provide appropriate and necessary accommodations to students with documented disabilities. If you are require any accommodations, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator at 465-2841 as soon as possible to discuss what accommodations you need to have equal access. It is important that you do this early in the term as some accommodations can take several weeks to arrange. If you want additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Academic Misconduct

UWS 14.03-14.04

(1) Academic misconduct is an act in which a student:
(a) Seeks to claim credit for the work or efforts of another without authorization or citation;
(b) Uses unauthorized materials or fabricated data in any academic exercise;
(c) Forges or falsifies academic documents or records;
(d) Intentionally impedes or damages the academic work of others;
(e) Engages in conduct aimed at making false representation of a student’s academic performance; or
(f) Assists other students in any of these acts.

(2) Examples of academic misconduct include, but are not limited to: cheating on an examination; collaborating with others in work to be presented, contrary to the stated rules of the course; submitting a paper or assignment as one’s own work when a part or all of the paper or assignment is the work of another; submitting a paper or assignment that contains ideas or research of others without appropriately identifying the sources of those ideas; stealing examinations or course materials; submitting, if contrary to the rules of a course, work previously presented in another course; tampering with the laboratory experiment or computer program of another student; knowingly and intentionally assisting another student in any of the above, including assistance in an arrangement whereby any work, classroom performance, examination or other activity is submitted or performed by a person other than the student under whose name the work is submitted or performed.

History: Cr. Register, February, 1989, No. 398, eff. 3-1-89.

(1) The following are the disciplinary sanctions that may be imposed for academic misconduct in accordance with the procedures of s. UWS 14.0514.06 or 14.07:
(a) An oral reprimand;
(b) A written reprimand presented only to the student;
(c) An assignment to repeat the work, to be graded on its merits;
(d) A lower or failing grade on the particular assignment or test;
(e) A lower grade in the course;
(f) A failing grade in the course;
(g) Removal of the student from the course in progress;
(h) A written reprimand to be included in the student’s disciplinary file;
(i) Disciplinary probation; or
(j) Suspension or expulsion from the university.

UWS 14.04(2) (2) One or more of the disciplinary sanctions listed in sub. (1) may be imposed for an incident of academic misconduct.

Other Statements to Consider

Pandemic-Related Statements

Thanks to Jessica Van Slooten

This semester is going to be different than a “normal” college semester because we’re still in the middle of a global pandemic. I want to acknowledge that none of us know how this might impact our lives in the coming months, so being flexible and communicating often is important. Taking care of your overall well-being is necessary, and something that I must do, too. Please know that I recognize that the pandemic impacts us all—you, your families, me, my family—in a wide range of ways, from caregiving responsibilities, job changes, mental and physical health challenges, etc. I can help connect you to campus resources that might help you manage the challenges you’re facing; you can also look at the UWGB Coronavirus Information website. My goal is to help you be successful in the class no matter what challenges you’re facing—we can work together to develop a plan that works for you if your situation changes. And, the plan for the class may need to change as our collective situations change. I am committed to providing you with a meaningful educational experience that is flexible and geared toward your success. Reach out to me via email, student drop-in hours, or share your concerns on our unit-end surveys and we’ll move forward together. 

Thanks to Liz Wheat 

As we have experienced over the last few months, pandemic life presents a host of challenges to our lives—both professionally and personally. Research has shown that levels of stress, feelings of loneliness, and depression have increased since this pandemic started. Every one of us has had to make changes and adapt as we can to the ever-changing circumstances. It can be hard to perform our best under these unprecedented stress levels. This is not an excuse to not work hard and I still expect everyone’s best effort, but we should also be mindful about how we work together, support each other, and take care of ourselves. I am asking all of us, including me, to be compassionate and extend grace and understanding to one another, and to ourselves, this semester. It is likely we will all make mistakes or have miscommunications and we need to do our best to remember we are all human—no one is perfect.  

For our class, I will do my best to present quality content, respond to emails and questions in a timely fashion, grade work as fairly and quickly as possible, and to support you however I can throughout the semester. The syllabus does include deadlines and there are time-sensitive aspects of the course such as the mock trials, but the key is communicating with me about any challenges or obstacles you encounter. We will come up with a plan to help you succeed and complete the work. We have an excellent range of campus resources that can help as well and I have shared those in Canvas. Overall, it is important to remember that everyone is doing their best right now. Please be respectful in your communications with me and with one another. We all need to work to be as kind, patient, and supportive as possible, realizing that everyone is experiencing different kinds of stressors and life challenges. Together, we can make this an excellent semester! 

Thanks to Nichole LaGrow Each student has one opportunity to request an extension of up to four days to submit the assignment after its due date. In order to use an extension, students should request the additional time at least 24 hours before it is due. To document a personal or familial need that would require you to miss several days of class, please contact the Dean of Students by calling (920) 465-2152. If you are unable to call, a parent or guardian can call on your behalf.
Thanks to Nichole LaGrow Although this is an online, asynchronous class, there are regular and frequent interactions in our class. A class week begins on a Wednesday at midnight and ends on a Tuesday at 11:59 pm. If a student is unable to engage with activity for an entire week, he/she should contact the instructor to discuss the absence. Extended absences should be processed through the Dean of Students.
Thanks to David Voelker The pandemic has created tremendous suffering, and it also provides us with a potent reminder of how interconnected we all are and of the importance of compassion and kindness. With these values in mind, I may need to make adjustments to the syllabus. I will always do so with the intention of making the course go more smoothly for everyone, while still honoring the learning outcomes for the course. At the end of the syllabus, I have appended some university-wide policies related to the pandemic.
Thanks to David Voelker WHEREAS: (1) A global pandemic is affecting all of our lives; (2) we are trying to engage with the world in real time; (3) we are trying out a variety of relatively new technologies to connect with each other; and (4), I’ve had to design this course before I had the opportunity to get to know you and your specific gifts, interests, and needs—this schedule is tentative. Please check Canvas and your university email account several times each week (preferably daily, during the week) for updates. As noted above, I will post deadlines for assignment submissions at least 10 days in advance.

Bereavement Policy

For more information see: https://www.uwgb.edu/dean-of-students/assistance-advocacy/bereavement-policy.asp

Upon approval from the Dean of Students, students who experience the death of a loved one are allowed one week, commencing from the day of notification to the Dean of Students, of excused absence. Students may also take a Bereavement Leave of Absence for the semester in which the death occurs. Permission to do so will occur upon consultation with the Dean of Students.

Inclusivity Policy

Many instructors choose to share an inclusivity policy to promote an inclusive classroom environment.

I wish to confirm my conviction that a college campus must be a safe place for the discussion of ideas. As such, I expect each member of the class to treat one another with tolerance for ideas discussed from a variety of perspectives. I respect the dignity of every person and will not allow discrimination against anyone based on religion, age, disability, ethnic origin, race, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. Let’s approach one another with good intentions and openness

The UWGB Land Acknowledgement

In a continuing effort to create a more inclusive community, UW-Green Bay has adopted a formal land acknowledgment to honor our native peoples. The land acknowledgement was developed by our First Nations faculty in preparation for our inaugural Freshman Convocation. Faculty are encouraged to incorporate the land acknowledgment as part of their syllabi should they so choose.

We at the University of Wisconsin Green Bay acknowledge the First Nations people who are the original inhabitants of the region. The Ho-Chunk Nation and the Menominee Nation are the original First People of Wisconsin and both Nations have ancient historical and spiritual connections to the land that our institution now resides upon. Today, Wisconsin is home to 12 First Nations communities including the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin, Potawatomi Nation, Ojibwe Nation communities, Stockbridge-Munsee Band of the Mohican Nation, and the Brothertown Indian Nation.

Classroom Environment

Similar to the inclusivity policy, many instructors include language about the sort of environment that enables learning and respectful debate. Some write this in advance of the course, while others include the students in its construction.

Classroom Environment: The classroom should be an arena for voicing opinions and arguments in the spirit of debate, but should also display civility and tolerance. Students will bring different experiences and beliefs to bear on the materials we read, and our discussions must allow for a range of viewpoints to be expressed.  One of the central tenets of feminism is that the “the personal is political.” In other words, knowledge and social change cannot be divorced from lived experience. The ideas and issues that we discuss will often have direct bearing on students’ past experiences or personal philosophies, and it is reasonable to occasionally share these connections.  At the same time, such comments should remain connected to the course readings, and allow for the participation of everyone in the class.

Class environment: In order to provide a stimulating and effective learning environment, everyone is expected to follow shared codes of conduct. As noted above, we will construct our own policies on the first few days of class. In order to foster fruitful discussions we should all strive to create an environment of mutual respect—for it to be mutual, we all have to have a stake.

All interactions in class should be civil, respectful, and supportive of an inclusive learning environment for all students. If you have any concerns about classroom participation or classroom dynamics, I encourage you to speak with me, with Dr. X, the X Department chair, or your advisor. You may also share your concerns with the University at http://www.uwgb.edu/phoenix-cares/.

Civility and Online Etiquette: Civility and decorum are expected at all times. You are welcome to your own opinion and encouraged to express it, but you must do so in a mature and sincere manner. You must also make sure your opinions are informed and well-supported – this is not your personal soapbox. You may find it helpful to review the UWGB guidelines for online etiquette, located at http://online.uwc.edu/technology/etiquette.

Policy on Children in Virtual Sessions

This may be particularly important to those updating their syllabus for Fall 2020.

Caregivers deserve access to education. At all times, I strive to be inclusive to parents and other caregivers, and now, in our virtual learning space, with many children learning from home or schools facing sudden closures, we can expect children to be present in class from time to time. I ask that all students work with me to create a welcoming environment that is respectful of all forms of diversity, including diversity in caregiving status.

1. Children may be visible onscreen during class sessions, either in a lap or playing in the background. This includes breastfeeding or chestfeeding [NOTE: this is a term many transmen and non-binary birth parents use] babies. Alternatively, you may turn your camera off if more privacy is required.
  2. Caregivers who anticipate having a child(ren) with them during class sessions are encouraged to wear a headset to help minimize background noise. You may mute your microphone and communicate through the “chat” feature at any point necessary.
  3. Stepping away momentarily for childcare reasons is completely understandable and expected. Simply mute and/or turn off your camera as necessary, and rejoin us when you are able.
  4. While I maintain the same high expectations for all student in my classes regardless of parenting status, I am happy to problem solve with you in a way that makes you feel supported as you strive for school-caregiving balance.

(Based on the policies by Dr. Melissa Cheyney and Dr. Elizabeth Horn care of the UW System caregiving task force)

Preferred Name and Pronouns

Many instructors choose to list their preferred name and pronouns to promote an inclusive classroom environment.

Names and Pronouns: During the first week of class, I will ask you to write your preferred first name on the class sign-in roster. I will also invite you to make a nametag to use in class that includes your preferred gender pronouns. I see sharing gender pronouns as a gesture of respect and a reminder that we should not make assumptions about gender based upon physical appearance, names, etc. If you misgender someone (i.e., call someone who identifies as a woman “he,” or vice versa), the best practice is to apologize (concisely) and move on, without making a big scene.

Names, Pronouns, and Gender: If you have changed your name (officially or unofficially) from what appears in SIS, go by a nickname, or wish to specify a set of preferred or most appropriate pronouns, please feel free to ask me in person or by email. Everyone in this class has the right to be addressed and understood by their right name and their gender identity, and no one has the right to challenge anyone else’s self-identification. Everyone deserves trust and respect.

Class Attendance Policy

UWGB instructors adopt a wide variety of classroom attendance policies.

Attendance is required, not simply because you need to be present to learn, but also because we need you as part of our learning community. If you miss class, you are responsible for getting notes from a classmate and for checking email and D2L/Canvas for updates. If you miss consecutive days of class, please send me an email to inform me of your situation. Please arrive to class on time, as latecomers are a distraction to everybody in the room. Because I give all students three absences without penalty, I do not keep track of the reasons for every absence. If you have a special excused absence, such as university business, military service, or a serious family emergency, however, please do let me know.

Your participation is welcomed and encouraged as this is a gathering place where we can improve our listening and speaking on a range of social problems and issues. Participation will be evaluated in terms of evidence:

1. of your preparedness for class (timeliness of assignments, demonstrating you have read the materials, etc.)
  2. that you are present in class in both body and mind (alert, paying attention, listening respectfully, etc.)
  3. of your active participation (asking questions, offering your perspective, providing constructive feedback to your colleagues, etc.)
  4. of your leadership and participation in small group discussions in class.

Religious/Cultural Observances

Instructors may wish to consult the Interfaith Calendar to see if important course dates conflict with religious observances. 

Persons who have religious or cultural observances that coincide with this class should let the instructor know in writing (by e-mail for example) by [date]. I strongly encourage you to honor your cultural and religious holidays! Please let me know so that we can make a plan to ensure that you do not fall behind in class while you are celebrating a religious or cultural observance.

Teaching Philosophy

Many instructors share their teaching philosophy explicitly with students.

Sample 1

My general philosophy is I want to encourage you to think critically and observe the holistic connections between ideas. I am less interested in your recitation of terms and concepts and more in your understanding of how what we discuss in class ties together. I encourage you to challenge and debate what you learn in class, and never be afraid to ask questions.

TEACHING VALUES: 

You can count on me to do these things:

• Give your exam review one class prior to the exam.
  • I do not have any trick questions on the exam, what we talk about is what you will see.
  • We may go off topic as we explore different questions and ideas that you are interested in instead of what is exactly on the syllabus.
  • I will be as forgiving as I can with attendance, late assignments, and accommodating to you, but I will hold to the rules of the syllabus to ensure understanding and transparency.
  • I will be a resource for you to grow from and a soft landing pad should you make a mistake.
  • We will use collaborative-based learning as much as possible in this class to help you to be engaged in your learning.

Digital Devices in the Classroom

Many instructors include policies about the use of electronic or digital devices within the classroom. There is a wide variety as to how instructors tackle this issue.

Electronic Devices in the Classroom: There is now overwhelming evidence, based on systematic research, that “multi-tasking” with digital devices interferes badly with learning. Even having a smart phone on the table or desk takes a toll on concentration. Please silence and stow (out of sight) all mobile phones during class. No texting or messaging in class. If you are experiencing a personal emergency that requires you to take calls or receive text messages, consider taking advantage of the three emergency absences that I allow. Otherwise, please let me know about your situation and try to minimize disruptions. You may use a laptop computer, e-reader, or tablet in class for referring to assigned course materials, for in-class assignments, and for taking notes (although, based upon research into note-taking, I do not recommend that you try to type notes in class). Please avoid the temptation to check email, browse the web, etc., during class. If you have trouble staying focused on class, I recommend that you turn off wifi access unless you need it for a specific assignment or discussion.

Personal electronics – You may use your laptop or mobile devices to read the e-book version of the text or complete in-class assignments and exercises. However, using them for any activities that are not class-related activities is against course policy. Please also turn your cell phone to silent or turn it off altogether.

Late work/deadline policy

Most instructors include transparent language describing late work and/or policies about deadlines on their syllabus.

LATE ASSIGNMENTS: Late assignments will be accepted as circumstances in life do happen, but please be aware that scores will drop by 10% for each class session late.

Deadlines: Deadlines are important. They help us plan. They motivate us. They keep us on the same page so that we can work together. Submitting your work on time is an important part of completing assignments for college classes, not to mention other aspects of your life. I understand, however, that you may experience an emergency or other circumstance that could prevent you from submitting your work on time. If this happens, please communicate with me as soon as reasonably possible to negotiate an extension. (The only way to get an extension is to ask for it.) Then, when you have completed the assignment, please let me know via email. Keep in mind that if you submit late work, you may miss out on an opportunity to collaborate with or receive feedback from your peers, and your feedback from me may be delayed or reduced, depending on the situation.

Exams (Making Up): Because I understand that illnesses and unexpected emergencies do arise, I will allow you to make up one exam during the semester, under the condition that you exercise due diligence by contacting me with an email or phone message before the end of the class session when the exam takes place. At that time, you must let me know when you can take the exam within the next two business days. It is your responsibility to follow up immediately to schedule a make-up exam. (Note: make-up exams may differ from in-class exams.)

Veterans Services

See also: http://www.uwgb.edu/veterans/absence/

Students that are activated for the military may request a complete withdrawal. Individual (not unit) orders are needed if you withdraw during a semester. These orders need to be given to the following offices: Registrar, Bursar, Financial Aid and Residence Life (if applicable).

• Tuition and Fees-Activated students should be given the opportunity to earn his/her grade or a full refund of tuition should be made.
  • Room and Board-Activated students should be given a refund for the unused portions of room and board contracts.
  • Financial Aid-For students receiving financial aid at the time of their withdrawal, please be aware that the financial aid office is required by federal regulation to calculate the amount of aid (if any) that must be returned. This applies to any student that withdraws and there is not an exception for military deployment. Depending on the amount of aid received and the date of withdrawal in that semester, you may have to repay a percentage of aid to the appropriate aid programs.
If you are interested in doing an independent study during the time you are gone, we encourage you to work out the details with your instructor and fill out the independent study form before you leave. Please contact Elaina Koltz in the Financial Aid Office if you plan to take a class while activated. We want to make this process as easy as possible.
  • Email Account-Please contact the Help Desk at helpdesk@uwgb.edu to extend the activation of your UWGB email account.
  • Parking Decal Refund-If withdrawn within the first 4 weeks, you may be eligible for a parking refund. Take decal to the parking office to complete a form. Refunds will be mailed.
  • Library Books-Return any library books, media services equipment, etc.
  • Dining Points-Remaining balance of dining points and pass points are refundable less a $25 dollar administration fee. Online request submission: http://www.uwgb.edu/union/forms/
When you return to UW-Green Bay, you need to fill out the application for readmission at www.uwgb.edu/admissions – click apply now. This is to update your account. Also, the admissions office will need an official transcript for any classes you may have taken at another institution while activated.

The federal government provides options for servicemen and women who are being deployed for active duty and who have student loans. As a deployed service member, you may be eligible to delay or temporarily suspend making loan payments to reduce the burden on you and your family. In general, service members will fall into one of three categories:

• Those currently enrolled in school, have taken out student loans, and are being called to active duty.
  • Those within the grace period of their student loans, have yet to make a first payment, and are being called to active duty.
  • Those currently making payments on student loans and are being called to active duty.

The key for you is to contact the lender or the agency that services your student loans to see if you are eligible for the delayed or suspended repayment benefit. For many students that servicer will be Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation (GLHEC). GLHEC has an on-line resource that any service member can refer to regarding options available to them. You can find that resource at www.mygreatlakes.org/deployment . Although the information is available to anyone at this site, you still must contact your lender or loan holder (if it is not GLHEC) so it can be finalized.

The financial aid application is an annual process and you can file your aid application in advance of your readmission to the University. You can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online by going to www.fafsa.gov and completing the form for the aid year for which you plan to return.

FERPA and/or HIPPA statement 

The Family Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the education records of students from kindergarten to graduate school. Read more here: https://www.uwgb.edu/ferpa/ 

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a federal law designed to protect medical records and the sharing of patient medical data. “Covered Entities” who must comply with these regulations are Health Plans, most Healthcare Providers, and Healthcare Clearinghouses. Read more here: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/guidance-materials-for-consumers/index.html

Student Resources to Consider

UW-Green Bay offers a wide variety of support services for our students. Such services provide students the opportunity to spend more of their mental and physical energy on intellectual and personal growth. You may wish to include each resource on your syllabus, or, you may prefer to refer them to websites such as Phoenix Cares, which provides information to many (but not all) of these services.

Statements for Resource Centers

TLC (http://www.uwgb.edu/learning-center/about-us/) offers FREE academic support in a variety of undergraduate subjects each semester. Courses affiliated with mentoring vary each semester during the spring and fall semesters. One-on-one sessions, drop-in hours and study groups are held by academic mentors that are subject area experts who have successfully completed the course, usually with the same professor. They are able to answer questions, review course material, assist with preparing for exams, guide discussion and provide tips on study strategies in the content area.

Basic Resources: Any student who has difficulty affording groceries or accessing sufficient food to eat every day, or who lacks a safe and stable place to live, and believes this may affect their performance in the course, is urged to contact the Dean of Students for support. Furthermore, please notify me or your academic advisor if you are comfortable doing so. This will enable us to connect you with an array of resources available on campus. You can also find information about these resources on our Phoenix Cares website: http://www.uwgb.edu/phoenix-cares/

The Campus Cupboard is a student organization run by students, with the mission of providing an on-campus food pantry, clothing closet, and cleaning/personal hygiene products to ensure adequate basic needs are met of all students, faculty, and staff.  The Campus Cupboard and Clothes Closet are located in the new ‘CK One’ space in Rose Hall 140 (in the corridor section between Wood and Rose Halls).
How to access the Cupboard

Students, staff, and faculty may use their university ID’s to access CK One, using a card swipe, between the hours of 7:00am and 9:00pm.
Contact advisor Stacie Christian by email christis@uwgb.edu if you have questions or technical difficulties in entering the space.

We all have stresses and struggles in our lives. Conflict with friends or family, break ups, other kinds of loss, academic concerns, or issues with work/life balance. In addition to day-to- day life stresses people can have more long-term concerns (Depression, Anxiety, substance use concerns, eating concerns, etc…) The good news is your campus has free resources available to you to address these needs. When a concern arises or if you have any questions please seek out support from the UWGB Counseling and Health Center (920-465-2830). No concern is too big or too small.  

In addition, if an urgent situation arises or if you or someone you care about is considering suicide or hurting others, don’t wait.   Call the Counseling and Health Center (920-465-2380), Public Safety (920-465-2300), the local Crisis Center (920-436-8888), or 911 for immediate assistance.  Don’t take a chance. Let a professional help. Act now. 

UWGB Public Safety : https://www.uwgb.edu/publicsafety/ 

Counseling and Health : http://www.uwgb.edu/counseling-health/ 

Brown County Crisis Center : http://www.familyservicesnew.org/crisis-center/