Institutional Resources and Structures

We know that onboarding can be challenging to navigate at times. Before you even set foot in a classroom there is paperwork to sign, orientations to attend, passwords to set up, and so much more. To help support your transition, we have put together a short guide to some offices and resources on campus that play an important role in your work as an instructor. 

Click any of the headings below to expand the accordion and read the description.

The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (CATL) provides several services including structured professional development programming, consultations, and resources to support instructors in their teaching. You can browse our current offerings or reach out directly if you would like to consult with one of our staff members about designing a course, crafting a syllabus, creating assessments, managing issues and dynamics in the classroom, and more! CATL exists to support you in your teaching.  

CATL also offers support and training on the “digital learning environment,” which consists of our learning management system (Canvas) and the related instructional technology tools that are used to facilitate teaching and learning at UW-Green Bay (UWGB). If you want an overview of Canvas or any of these teaching technologies, a CATL member would be happy to meet with you. You can also explore resources on these tools at your own pace. Finally, we encourage you to enroll in our self-paced course, LITE 101, that is designed to provide an introduction to UWGB’s course modalities, Canvas, and UWGB’s overall digital learning environment. 

The Office of Human Resources & Workforce Diversity is likely going to be your first stop for taking care of many of your initial questions about employment at UWGB. Their website has some great resources for new employee onboarding, including information on Phoenix Orientation, links to basic information such as campus maps and where to find an ATM on campus, and instructions on where to park on your first day and later get a parking permit. HR is your go-to for questions regarding benefits, payroll, time & absence, and more. Their office also offers support in the form of disability accommodations, wellness resources like the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and various opportunities for professional development. Many of HR’s systems and forms can be accessed through the My UW Portal. 

The Division of Information Technology will also be an important resource throughout your time at UWGB. Before you can log in to most systems with your UWGB credentials, you will need to set up Okta Verify, UWGB's multi-factor authentication provider. IT can also help you with troubleshooting login problems or questions about your UWGB network account. In addition to these services, IT supports our student information system (SIS), Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Microsoft Teams, Zoom, classroom technology (projectors, computers, microphones, cameras, etc.), and personal university-owned devices (such as instructor desktop computers and laptops). If you need assistance, just contact the IT Service Desk, and they will route your request to the right individual. For self-service, you can also browse the UWGB IT Knowledgebase 

The Registrar’s Office manages many of the university’s records, including course catalogs, transcripts (including grades), and diplomas. The Registrar is also responsible for enrollment and the schedule of classes, which is where you will be listed as the teacher of record for the courses you teach each semester. This information is updated in the student information system (SIS) which then syncs with Canvas and controls both student and instructor access to Canvas course shells. If you are waiting for access to a Canvas shell, you might want to check the schedule of classes to see if you have been listed as the instructor for your courses yet.  

If you are working on any of the four UW-Green Bay campuses, you will need a University ID card. Your University ID serves as your official form of UWGB identification and can be swiped for access to the areas and buildings that you have been granted clearance for. University IDs also function as library cards and, if you choose to load points on them, can be used to purchase food and other campus services, like printing. University IDs are issued in the Union at the Green Bay campus and in the respective libraries of the Manitowoc, Sheboygan, and Marinette campuses.  

The UW-Green Bay Wellness Center provides your students access to counseling, medical, and wellness services on all campuses. Request a wellness presentation to have a representative from the Wellness Center speak to your class about UW-Green Bay Counseling & Health opportunities available to students. You can learn more on their website about mental health services on each campus (Including emergency numbers) and access the online form for reporting a non-emergency concern about a student.

Students Accessibility Services (SAS) is an office that helps ensure equal educational access to students with disabilities. They facilitate the classroom accommodations process at UW-Green Bay. Student Accessibility Services works collaboratively with students and instructors in these efforts. If you have student(s) with academic accommodations in your class, SAS will notify you confidentially and provide you with information about accessibility and accommodations to assist you in that process. In addition to other materials on their website, you can find syllabus examples of Student Accessibility statements and assistive technology resources, both of which outline tools that help students with disabilities. 

Like students, faculty and staff can take advantage of the variety of dining options offered by Dining Services. There are several principal dining locations on the Green Bay campus, including the Leona Cloud Commons, Common Grounds Coffeehouse, and the Green Bay Grill. Faculty and staff meal plans are available, or you can opt to add a specific dollar amount to your university ID with dining points or pass points. Manitowoc, Marinette, and Sheboygan have vending options but no longer offer full-service dining.

If you work on campus, you will likely need a parking permit and one or more keys to specific rooms. You can find more information about purchasing a parking permit and requesting keys on the website for University Police & Public Safety. They are also your go-to for emergency information and protocols, as well as crime prevention and reporting. 

If you have questions about extramural funding and securing grants, the Office of Grants and Research (OGR) is a great place to start! Visit the Office of Grants and Research website to view internal, UW System, and state and federal funding opportunities. In addition to assistance with securing grants and funds, the OGR supports faculty, staff, and students in their research endeavors and scholarly activity. 

UW-Green Bay has two types of chairs, budgetary unit chairs and program chairs. For some departments, the budgetary unit chair and the program chair are the same person, but in others they are held by separate individuals. Your program chair can answer questions about your program’s collective vision and learning outcomes, curriculum, and more. The budgetary unit chair handles personnel responsibilities and is likely your direct supervisor. That person also oversees finances related to your program, including approvals for use of department funds and any overloads, including instructor participation in compensated professional development programming. 

The university has four colleges— the Austin E. Cofrin School of Business (AECSB), the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS), the College of Health, Education and Social Welfare (CHESW), and the College of Science, Engineering, and Technology (CSET). The deans of each college oversee not only the academic programs that their college encompasses, but also by extension the faculty, staff, students, and campus centers and resources related to that college.