Governor’s comments on faculty, staff workload

On Jan. 29, Chancellor Gary L. Miller issued the following message to all UW-Green Bay faculty and staff:

I want to join President Cross in expressing deep disappointment with the suggestion by Governor Walker that university faculty and staff do not work as hard as they could.  My nearly thirty years of experience in higher education has demonstrated to me that university faculty and staff are among the most hard working, committed and creative workers in America.  Your role is one of the most unique and important in this country – to serve your community, to create knowledge and to shape the developing mind to discern truth, evaluate evidence, develop communication skills and to learn how to learn.  It is work that requires great energy, continual study, deep commitment to learning and to those who learn and, importantly, a love of Wisconsin and its future. I want you to know I am deeply appreciative and admiring of your hard work and dedication.  I cannot think of a better group of colleagues to have at my side as we manage the unprecedented budget reductions ahead of us.  Thank you.

Gary L. Miller

Chancellor