Student Profile: Samantha Landvick, ’25, Benefits from Phuture Phoenix, Byron Walter Scholarships

Samantha Landvick’s journey at UW-Green Bay started during a fifth-grade Phuture Phoenix field trip. During a tour of the campus, her class was led to the courtyard. They were greeted by students making ice cream with liquid nitrogen and leading other science experiments. Landvick was amazed by the projects and the students running them.

“I wanted that to be my future,” she says, “Being able to interact with people who loved learning as much as I did, and still do, made me feel at home.”

A first-generation college student, Landvick has received support from two scholarships, the Tony Galt Phuture Phoenix Scholarship and the Byron L. Walter Family Scholarship. An undeclared major in the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences, she intends to work in the publishing industry.

Long before enrolling, Landvick dreamed about campus life, from classes to living on campus. Through scholarships, both of these experiences are  possible for her. She is able to focus on academics and the other possibilities of the college experience. Landvick hopes to make her scholarship donors and her family proud.

“Being able to attend UW-Green Bay is like a dream come true, not only for me but for my parents too,” she says. “To be able to do something that they never thought possible for themselves, it makes me feel like I’m doing this for them.”

Landvick is growing as a student and an adult. Through a Democracy and Justice Studies class, she mentored Green Bay youth, which has inspired her ambition to become an ambassador on campus. Landvick has made new friends and memories. At UW-Green Bay, she has found a place to nurture her love of learning, and a place to call home.

Written by Kaia Stueck ’24, student at UW-Green Bay.