As the holiday season nears, the Office of Residence Life has a few guidelines to remind students about regarding holiday decorations. While we encourage students to decorate their residence hall or apartment, we ask that all students abide by the following guidelines:
Guidelines for Decorating Your Room or Apartment
- Halloween pumpkins should be colored with markers rather than carved to prevent rotting.
- All light cords should be UL approved, safe and free of cracks.
- The only extension cords permitted in housing are those that are UL listed 3 wire/3 prong cords of a 16 gauge minimum weight.
- The only multi-plug device you may use is a power strip with an on/off switch, 15-20 amp circuit breaker/surge protector with a 3 prong grounded plug.
- Unplug all lights when you are not in your room or apartment.
- Use poster putty or painters tape when hanging up decorations to walls or doors.
- Remove all decorations before you leave for semester break.
- Do not place pumpkins in hallways or breeze ways.
Items Not Permitted
- Real leaves, trees or wreaths made from natural materials are not permitted. (This is a fire regulation).
- Electrical cords may not be placed under carpeting, on bed frames or over archways. Do not use holiday light strings around metal furnishings such as door frames.
- Please do not cover light fixtures and light bulbs with decorations.
- Do not use spray on “snow” on your windows, doors, walls or mirrors.
- Please do not overload your electrical sockets.
- Candles are not permitted in student housing.