All current housing contracts for the 2018/19 academic year end on Saturday, May 18 at 4:00 p.m. Students are required to vacate their accommodations by this date and time otherwise a $50.00 improper check-out fee will be assessed. Students who are graduating and may need more time to move out need to contact the Office of Residence Life by May 15, 2019.
It is acceptable to park near entrances during move out. Be sure not to double park or block walk ways or access to the building.
Move Out Steps:
- In order to avoid cleaning charges, students must clean their room or apartment thoroughly. This includes but is not limited to cleaning all surfaces, walls, furniture, medicine cabinet, appliances, cupboards and counter tops (if applicable), toilet, shower, vanity/sink, and the bathroom floor. Carpeted areas must be vacuumed and the vinyl or tile floor areas must be mopped. For a detailed checklist of cleaning responsibilities, please see: uwgb.edu/housing
- Remove all belongings from housing before leaving; check all drawers, closets, etc. Items left behind will be disposed of after 30 days.
- Does your students have items they do not want to take home, but are still in good condition? Bring it to our donation bins located in the Community Center, contemporary apartment first floor lounges, and Roy Downham lounge. All items will be donated to the UWGB Camus Cupboard and St. Vincent de Paul.
- Mailboxes need to be emptied and all packages picked up. We do not keep packages for students who do not live on campus over the summer. Packages and mail will begin to be accepted on August 1, 2019 for students moving in the fall. Mail forwarding information also needs to be filled out before departure, even if the student is returning in fall.
- The final step in the process is for your student to complete the online Express Check-out process by visiting the housing web site. Students who do not check out of their room or apartment will be assessed an improper checkout fee of $50.00.
After departure, Residence Life staff members will be inspecting living spaces for damages caused by residents. It is important to clean and take care of the living space to avoid damages charges at departure. On the express check-out form that is filled out as part of departure there are places to list damage done by the resident and damage done by others. This information is used as part of the damage appeal process, so the more information that is listed the better an appeal can be evaluated.
Our goal is to minimize charges to students by providing detailed instructions and having Resident Assistants work with your student to complete a Responsibility for Cleaning Form with their roommates. If your student has questions, please direct them to the Office of Residence Life or their Resident Assistant. Any check-out fees that are assessed will be applied to student SIS accounts by June 21 and an e-mail will be sent with a brief description of charges.