Bennett Schmitz: Panama

What is your name, class, major and minor?

Hi there, my name is Bennett Schmitz. I am a third-year undergrad student with Senior standing. I am double majoring in Environmental Science and Biology with an emphasis in Ecology and Conservation along with going for a certificate in sustainability!

Where did you study abroad? How long were you there for?

I took an “Introduction to Tropical Biology” two-week course in Panama. We spent roughly one week in Bocas del Toro and one in Gamboa.

What is something you learned about your host country while studying abroad?

This trip taught me a lot about the biodiversity of Panama. Comparing what I have learned in Ecology classes in Wisconsin to the Ecology of Panama expanded my knowledge of plant and animal relationships. Staying in the “Crossroads of the Americas” we talked a lot about the impacts of species migration and the impacts of the Panama canal between the two largest oceans.

What is something you learned about yourself while studying abroad?

This trip also taught me to enjoy and embrace new experiences more. We did many things that we can’t do in Wisconsin like snorkeling in coral reefs and scientific collection/research in rainforests. I learned that even if it is not an activity I enjoy, I love trying all of them.

What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is thinking about studying abroad?

Some advice I would give to people wanting to go on this trip is to embrace the experience. Being in a different country and a completely different environment can be uncomfortable. Learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable can help you enjoy experiences to the fullest. Being in a completely different culture and trying new activities was uncomfortable but getting past that allowed me to appreciate every part of the trip.

This was easily one of the best experiences of my life and I met a lot of people I hope will be lifelong friends. I recommend everyone do a trip that fits their goals!

Bennett with mountains/forest in the background in Panama
Photo credit: Bennett Schmitz
Group of students in a forest in Panama
Photo credit: Bennett Schmitz