On Thursday, April 18 more than 50 UWGB alumni employed at Integrys Energy and it’s subsidiaries attended a business reception with UWGB faculty and staff. The event started with a social allowing alumni to mingle and connect with each other along with University leadership and faculty.
Donna Sheedy, UWGB Alumni Association President and Integrys employee welcomed the group and introduced Integrys management in attendance. Several individuals from the Integrys management team spoke to the group. Director of Alumni Relations, Kari Moody updated the group on upcoming alumni events, benefits and UWGB’s new brand. Chancellor Tom Harden spoke about the many successes UWGB has celebrated over the past year. Finally, Integrys CEO, Charlie Schrock discussed the strong partnership between UWGB and Integrys.
Visit our Facebook page at UWGB Alums to see more photos from the reception. It was a great alumni event and will be replicated next for Humana employees.
We thought you might want to know some of the exciting things your Alumni Association Board accomplished in 2012. The alumni who serve on your board share a substantial amount of time and talent to move initiatives forward. They are doing a great job on your behalf. Here are some highlights of 2012:
- $6,000 in scholarships were awarded to very deserving students. The awards committee selects two Annual Scholarship recipients, a Legacy Scholarship recipient and an Outstanding Student Award recipient in December and May. Much work goes into reviewing applications, interviewing students and awarding the students.
- Annual Alumni Awards—The awards committee hosted another successful Annual Alumni Awards event which recognizes Outstanding Recent Alumni as well as Distinguished Alumni.
- The board recruitment process was restructured. The board development committee put a very organized and strategic process in place to ensure the board is diverse and represents all of our alumni. This change will benefit all of us!
- Alumni Golf Outing—The fundraising committee hosted a successful golf outing and is working to take it up a notch again this year. See photos of the 2012 Alumni Scholarship Golf Outing.
- Commencement Reception—The board hosted a well attended Commencement reception in spring and welcomed new graduates in December. After the December Commencement Ceremony, graduates were congratulated and welcomed to the Alumni Association by a large group of alumni. It was a great way to meet our newest alumni.
- Volunteer Events—The board coordinated several volunteer events benefiting the community. Our alumni were fantastic bell ringers, Cellcom Marathon water station volunteers and Festival Foods food drive volunteers.
- Hoops Receptions—Your board hosted basketball receptions for both men’s and women’s basketball here in Green Bay and in Milwaukee.
- Backyard Bash—Your board welcomed students to campus at the Backyard Bash by serving up great food for over 500 students!
Save the date for the 2013 Alumni Scholarship Golf Outing! Let this be the great excuse you need to get out of the office to swing your clubs for a great cause…scholarships for deserving students attending UW-Green Bay! This event is hosted by your Alumni Association and its purpose is to raise funds for the scholarships the Association awards each year. So get a group of friends together and join us! If interested in more information on registration or sponsorship opportunities, please contact the Alumni Relations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-465-2226.
Date: Friday, June 7, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Location: Royal Scot golf course in New Franken
Your Alumni Association Board is also looking for volunteers to help plan and coordinate this year’s golf outing. If you’re looking for a way to reconnect and give back to your alma mater, this is a great opportunity! Contact us at email@example.com or 920-465-2226 to volunteer.
Since September, the Alumni Relations office has been spotlighting an alum every week on our Facebook page. This has given all of us a great opportunity to get to know our fellow alumni. We are a very impressive group of grads and we’re working in so many fields, doing great things at work and in our communities.
We have been selecting alumni to spotlight on a random basis and would love to build a list of alumni who want to tell the world how their UWGB experience shaped their careers. We work hard to feature alumni from many walks of life and career fields so you will notice the posts may feature a female teacher from the class of ’78 one week and then a male lawyer from ’03 and so on. If interested in being in our “Alumni Spotlight,” please complete the following questions and send a picture to Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Name and Grad Year:
Something we don’t know about you:
Ways to connect with you:
Then keep an eye on our Facebook page each Thursday for the weekly post. Hope to see you there!
This week we spotlight a past Distinguished Alumni Award recipient. Meet Steve Taylor who is an enthusiastic advocate of UW-Green Bay and an avid supporter of our Green Bay Athletics Program.
Name and Grad Year: Steven A. Taylor, ’79
Major: Business Administration
Favorite Professor(s): Dr. Jack Fritsch and Dr. Richard Logan
Employment: 25 years with Northwestern Mutual
Family: Wife Christine, Daughter Natalie, Son Nicholas
Hobbies: Music, Golf, Basketball, Baseball
Volunteer interests: Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Inc., Leadership Green Bay ’85, Golden House, NWTC Educational Foundation, Inc., UW-Green Bay Phoenix Fund, UW-Green Bay Distinguished Alumni Award Winner ’03, National Railroad Museum Board of Directors, Northwestern Mutual Community Service Award Winner ’02, Downtown Green Bay Holiday Parade Staging Coordinator
Something you don’t know about Steve: Steve was the 2010 UW-Green Bay Spring Commencement speaker and he’s a night owl
Ways to connect with Steve: Facebook
As you know, our alumni are doing great things all over the world. This week we spotlight Karen Faulkner, an alumni who gives back to her community in her professional and personal life. Thank you to Karen and the many UW-Green Bay alumna like her who make our world a better place.
Name and Grad Year: Karen (Michaels) Faulkner, ’93
Major(s): Psychology and Human Development
Minor(s): Business Administration
Favorite Professor(s): Dr. Timothy Sewall, Dr. Charles Matter and Dr. Illene (Noppe) Cupit
Employment: Director of Golden House (domestic violence program and shelter)
Family: Husband, Jason and daughters, Nicole (17 and in her senior year) and Jennifer (12 and thinks she is in her senior year)
Hobbies: Cooking, gardening, travel and yoga
Volunteer Interests: Leadership Green Bay and short community/human service events she can do with her kids
Something you don’t know about Karen: She has worked in six nonprofit organizations in Green Bay since she graduated 19 years ago and as challenging as it, she still loves it! She loves seeing fantastic people work hard to make this a great place to live.
Ways to connect with Karen: She can be found on Facebook and Linkedin
December is busy for everyone and there’s no exception for UW-Green Bay Alumni.
But, we UWGB alumni are a rare breed; we’re doers and we give back to the community even in the busiest season of the year.
So we are challenging our alumni to represent the UW-Green Bay Alumni Association in the following volunteer efforts:
• Saturday, Dec 8 – Red Kettle Alumni Challenge at Bay Park Square Mall, 12 pm – 2 pm
• Saturday, Dec 15 – Commencement/Welcome New Alumni, Weidner Center,
12:15 pm – 2 pm (You Get A FREE UWGB Alumni Association T-Shirt!!!)
To ring bells for the Red Kettle Alumni Challenge, please contact Alumni Association Board Member, Ann Lor at email@example.com.
To welcome new alumni after December Commencement, please contact Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.