Dr. Illene Cupit is looking for students to be buddies at this year’s Camp Lloyd! This opportunity is a 3 credit internship for spring 2019. Along with duties in the spring, buddies will be working one on one with kids during the actual camp itself. Camp Lloyd is a week long day camp in the summer for grieving children aged 7-14.
Individuals who would like to be buddies should be people who truly care about children and want to support them in the grieving process. We are looking for individuals who are seriously committed and will complete the internship for start to finish. All training dates are mandatory in order to participate in this program.
Interns must understand that they will be role models for the campers and need to be positive and set good examples. Although we expect our Interns to be well versed in their understanding of grief and common reactions children may experience, they are not allowed, nor are expected to function as therapists. Interns must work well with others and be flexible. They should have lots of energy and be willing to participate in “camp activities” such as crafts, swimming, hiking, and games. They need to be comfortable leading these types of camp activities with children ranging in ages from 7 through 14.
Requirements: Prior to becoming a counselor all applicants must:
- Be available for a short (15 minute) interview. Interviews will be held on November 8 and November 9, 2018.
- GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Have completed or be willing to enroll in Death, Dying, and Loss (HUM DEV 344) prior to the beginning of camp.
- Show evidence of a completed TB test.
- Agree to a criminal background search.
- Agree to read all required material for the internship.
- Agree to keep a journal,complete a paper, and the 100 hours necessary to fulfill credit requirements.
- Attend ALL training sessions as well as participate in the camp. The times that the camp would run would be from 8:30 a.m. through about 6:00 p.m. Times would include debriefing/orientation sessions.
Application deadline is October 31, 2018
For more information, and to apply, visit: http://www.uwgb.edu/camplloyd/counselor.html