Various sessions were held earlier this month to communicate the implications of the U.S. Department of Labor revised provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) salary threshold. For reference, both sessions can be accessed below. Below is a recap of several action items to consider as the December 1 implementation date approaches:
Supervisors (Recorded Supervisor Session):
- Provide employees with expectations for time reporting and work hours.
- Be aware of the bi-weekly payroll schedule and the dates that both timesheets are due and hours need to be approved.
- Define pre-approval process for overtime/comp time. Understand what your departmental stance is for OT/Comp.
- Review guidelines for comp time (UW-Green Bay Compensatory Time Policy).
- Ensure compensatory time doesn’t inhibit vacation/personal holiday use.
- Evaluate work responsibilities if necessary and determine any adjustments that need to be made.
- Discuss and define for your department:
- Standard work hours and expectations
- Work at home- what is acceptable and/or expected
- Break and meal periods
- Training, travel time, work while traveling
Employees (Recorded Employee Session):
- Direct Deposit– if you currently have multiple accounts, you may need to adjust the amount/percentage of payroll being deposited now on a biweekly basis.
- W-4 withholdings– if you currently have certain amounts setup for withholding, you may want to consider revising for the updated biweekly payroll period.
- TSA 403(b) Plans– elections that were setup to take monthly will still be taken biweekly unless a new Salary Reduction Agreement is completed.
- Wisconsin Deferred Compensation- elections that were setup to take monthly will still be taken biweekly unless a change request is completed or by contacting WDC directly at 1-877-457-9327.
- Any employee garnishments will be reviewed and re-distributed by the UW Service Center.
Our office will be sending out detailed instructions on the timesheet entry and approval process as we get closer to December 1st.
If you have questions, please contact Human Resources at (920) 465-2390 or email@example.com. If you are interested in a meeting regarding specific situations related to your department, please contact Melissa Nash at (920) 465-2103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.