The Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period is September 25 – October 20, 2023. This is your opportunity to enroll in or change your benefits and/or dependents for the upcoming calendar year. Changes made during ABE are effective January 1, 2024. Below are the highlights for 2024.
State Group Health Insurance
The plan designs (health plan and high deductible health plan), copayments, and coinsurance will remain the same.
The annual deductibles for the High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs) will increase to $1,600 for individual coverage and $3,200 for family coverage to remain compliant with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) minimum deductible requirement.
Group Health Cooperative (GHC) of South Central Wisconsin will split into two separate networks starting January 1, 2024.
- GHC of South Central Wisconsin Dane Choice* will include current in-network providers in Dane County.
- GHC of South Central Wisconsin Neighbors is a new plan that will cover in-network providers in Columbia, Grant, Iowa, Sauk, Jefferson, Juneau, and Lafayette County.
*If you are currently enrolled in a plan with GHC of South Central Wisconsin as the carrier, you will default to GHC of South Central Wisconsin Dane Choice with the same dependents for 2024 unless you make a change during ABE.
All other health insurance carriers will continue to be offered for 2024. Employee premium information will be available prior to ABE.
Uniform and Preventive Dental Insurance Plans
These plans provide coverage for preventive dental services, most basic dental services, and orthodontia services (up to age 19). Employee premiums for the Preventive Plan will increase. Employee premium information for Uniform Dental will be available prior to ABE.
Supplemental Dental Insurance Plans
The Select and Select Plus plans provide coverage for major and restorative dental services. The Select Plus plan covers orthodontia services for children and adults. Employee premiums for the Select Plan will decrease. Employee premiums for the Select Plus Plan will increase.
Vision Insurance Plan
The vision insurance plan provides coverage for an annual eye exam and materials (contacts and/or glasses). Employee premiums will remain the same in 2024.
Accident Insurance Plan
This plan provides a lump sum payment to you for specific injuries due to an accident. This plan includes an accidental death & dismemberment component. Employee premiums will decrease in 2024.
Pre-tax Spending and Savings Accounts
Below are the annual contribution maximums for 2024.
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs): $3,050 (increase)
- Dependent Day Care Account: $2,500 or $5,000 (depending on tax filing status)
- Parking & Transit Accounts: $300 per month (increase)
- Health Savings Accounts: $4,150 for individual coverage; $8,300 for family coverage (increase)
The Healthcare FSA carryover limit will increase to $610. The Parking & Transit Account carryover is unlimited. To be eligible for Healthcare FSA and/or Parking & Transit Account carryover from 2023 to 2024, you must:
- Have a minimum balance of $50 in your account at the end of the run-out period (March 31, 2024) OR
- Enroll for the 2024 plan year with a minimum contribution amount of $50 (in each account if you enroll in multiple accounts)
Carryover does not apply to the Dependent Day Care Account. All remaining funds in your Health Savings Account roll over year to year.
Most institutions will host onsite benefits fairs during ABE as a resource to help you understand the benefits for 2024. Check the benefits fairs schedule to see if your institution will be hosting a benefits fair. Then, mark your calendar to attend!
Watch for emails in September for more information about ABE and actions required.
Source: UW System Human Resources