Driftwood #19: Student Spotlight

May 13, 2021

Student Spotlight: Eric Wojtalewicz

Eric WNWTC-Marinette and the UW-Green Bay, Marinette Campus are proud to feature student Eric Wojtalewicz, who has completed courses at both institutions.

Seeking an education right here in our community has never been more attainable due to the collaborative efforts of the Marinette Area Higher Education Coalition. Eric says, “I come from a really small town, so coming to Marinette was a big stepping stone for me. Both campuses have allowed me to grow and meet the requirements for my degree, all the while receiving a [high-]quality education in a beautiful location.

With a goal of becoming a pediatric psychiatrist, Eric works with children at the DAR Boys & Girls Club in Menominee, MI, creating art, playing in the gym, and sharing presentations on educational topics. Prior to this, he did similar work at a facility called the Bolton Refuge House in Eau Claire, WI, where he became a trustworthy mentor to the students.

Eric shared a favorite quote, “Stars cannot shine with darkness. Even if there are bad things in life, you can be the shining star.” It’s clear that this mindset has infiltrated both his attitude and efforts, preparing him to be a positive impact in the lives of everyone he comes across.

Joined by his peers, Eric continues to make an impact through his work on The Brandon Project, which aims to raise awareness of and reduce substance abuse within our community. He explains, “This project has really impacted me. I have been able to see the difference you can make in a small town and how the community will rally behind a great cause.”

He adds, “I encourage everyone to go out and experience the world in a new way. Being at a smaller location where your faculty and peers know you by name has really helped give me a positive experience as a first-time college student. I’ve gained great knowledge and am well-prepared to attend a larger university.”

He plans to finish his Bachelor’s degree at the UW-Green Bay main campus while also taking courses at NWTC Green Bay to support his minor, criminal justice. We wish you the best of luck, Eric, and look forward to your future endeavors!

Learn about how our community campuses, UWGB and NWTC, are making a difference together in our community through the Marinette Area Higher Education Coalition.

—Kaitlyn O’Claire