High School Blues and Now New College Shoes

While now being in college for over five months I have found the students and teachers in high school compared to college are completely different. At least at my high school, I had seen over 30 fights and that seems like a very weird number but unfortunately, I feel I am pretty spot on. I couldn’t walk the halls without yelling, shoving, smoke being blown around and there was always that one group of girls hanging out in the bathroom. Now I can easily walk through the halls, and it is quiet, I go in and out of the bathroom with no worries. The teachers also are not so overbearing, in high school I had a teacher look under the stall while I was using the bathroom because she thought I was vaping or doing something I shouldn’t have been, and I wasn’t the first student she had done this to. I spent my senior year of high school; in a different school and I found it more enjoyable because I wasn’t surrounded by the same people, I was around people who wanted to learn and that is how it was when I first entered college, being surrounded by people that want to learn make school a lot easier to handle. There are still so many fun parts and great experiences that kids get to experience in high school but there are also so many different challenges that get put on you at once and there are a lot of emotions just generally going on. Some kids are not as lucky as others. They have to be so young going to school, work, and coming home to care for others in their home. This can lead kids to feel like they have a disadvantage and don’t want to apply themselves in school. When I went to college I felt a relief, something new and different, of course, all the stress and anxiety are still there but I took a step and am succeeding at something I would have found challenging in high school.