The Missing Classroom

Many people have benefited from online classes. During the pandemic, online class was the only option for most of us. While some thrive in online classes, most students I know, including myself, despise them. One of the biggest complaints about online education is the accelerated pace of learning. For those prone to procrastination, like me, this accelerated pace is a tremendous obstacle. With assignments, essay, and quiz deadlines piling up, once you fall behind, it is close to impossible to get back on track. Self-discipline and time management are skills not everyone has mastered, something online learning demands. Additionally, these classes tend to be extremely boring. Whether you are in a library or at home, it is very easy to get distracted. You don’t have the engaging environment of an in-person lecture to keep the material interesting and exciting.

Moreover, in some classes, there is little interaction between you, the instructor, and other students. I have taken an online class that was fully self-led. There was no meeting time for a virtual lecture. Putting all responsibility on the student, following the syllabus, and completing weekly assignments independently. This put tons of pressure on me, and I fell behind, ultimately failing the class. The student-teacher relationship is minimal, especially in the self-led classes, as mentioned. If you get behind it is hard for the instructor to work with you as there is no trust between student and instructor. While online learning offers flexibility, it lacks connection and understanding only an in-person class can provide.