Tug of War

Tug of War

When you are an incoming freshman, it can be very confusing. That’s what it was for me. It’s all about what happens early. One of the first moves you should probably make is gathering some friends that you like. I would suggest doing this during welcome week festivities or signing up for a club or two at Org Smorg. Both of those happened to me. Also, make a routine. Make sure you get your priorities straight. One of the biggest things I can say in my academic testimony is that balancing school, mental health, sports, fun, among other responsibilities and pleasures is one of the hardest things to master.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/international-tug-of-war-day/

I have a tendency to shut down and get hard on myself. If you have negative self-talk and/or a bad attitude, the situation will balloon into a bigger problem. I picked a bad routine. I decided to take recreation, amenities, and fun more seriously. I was involved with 4 clubs (one of which consumed multiple evenings of studying in September). It’s a very dangerous road. I got behind in US History and it has led me to a very dark path. The road to recovery is very daunting. I cut that time-consuming club out of my schedule. Overall, make sure you have the right friends that won’t tear you down, make sure you’re making adequate time for school, have some activities to get involved in, take care of yourself, don’t be pulling all-nighters, and you’ll be just fine.