Taking Control

The main reason I decided to go away to school was so I could gain independence. My mom has held my hand through my whole life and I wanted to experience living on my own. I looked forward to making my own decisions and exploring what I can do with my life. I remember I couldn’t wait to move away and do my own thing, but I didn’t realize how challenging it would be. Learning how to navigate everyday activities such as leaving early enough to get to all my classes on time and eating dinner that isn’t junk food has been a lot harder than I expected. I’m so used to my mom and other people around me knowing my schedule, it’s sometimes tricky to keep up with it all by myself. Things like getting to bed at a decent time and setting aside time for myself has made my college experience a lot smoother.

Although it’s been hard adjusting, I’ve really enjoyed being able to take control of my own life. Not having to ask before I go anywhere, or tell my parents my every move has made me feel a sense of freedom I never had before. The responsibility of doing my homework, keeping up with sports, keeping my dorm clean, and all the other small things of living on your own have made me a lot more responsible than I ever was before. I hate to admit it, but I used to be pretty lazy. I would get my school work done and go to practice, but I didn’t do much of anything else. Living on my own has given me no choice but to grow up and get things done. I’ve already noticed such a change in my determination and willingness to do more than just the minimum and I have being my own boss to thank for that. 

Source: Tampa Therapy