Secrets to Succeed in College

Before arriving at college I wasn’t sure if I would be successful or happy. After being at UWGB for over two months now, I definitely think I am successful, but I could still improve on some aspects. For the main part I found a lot of things that have helped me survive college this far. The first being time management. I believe this is the most important skill college students need in order to be successful. Time management helps me stay on top of things, decrease stress, and have time for hobbies or relaxing. I think other students can agree that managing time prevents people from falling behind, and it’s a skill that is also important in life outside of college. Another key component to being successful is having good studying skills. I usually look over my notes again and then make flashcards for anything I need help remembering. Typically if I have an exam coming up, I will start studying the day I find out about the exam. This way, I don’t cram my studying all in one night. Instead I study for at least 30 mins each day.

Besides time management and studying, going to events helps me be happy in college. I have found that attending events or joining a club makes college better. I usually go to the girls volleyball games with my boyfriend or any event we find interesting. I’m an introvert so I never thought I would actually attend events or clubs. I have gone to many events hosted by UWGB and I’m glad that I do because it’s a way to have fun and make new friends. Another tip to being happy is doing things you enjoy and that keep yourself busy. I have found that college students have more free time compared to high school students. I was worried I would just sit in my dorm all day after going to class. I have found that going to the Kress Center to workout after my class keeps me busy but also helps manage stress.

Photo Credit: Mahopac Carmel