Navigating the Digital Classroom

Navigating the Digital Classroom 

Taking online classes really depends on the person. I have heard both good and bad things about taking online courses. A positive is flexibility. They offer the flexibility to learn at your own pace and in your preferred environment. Online classes also allow students to take ownership of their learning and practice self-discipline. However, some negatives are the lack of immediate feedback. Unlike in-person classes, online classes make it harder to receive feedback right away. If you have an important question or concern, it may not be answered immediately. You might have to wait longer for responses to your questions or to receive graded assignments. I have found this to be very frustrating at times. Another negative is the learning environment. For some students it can be harder learning through a computer screen and prefer to learn in person or hands-on. Everybody’s learning style is different. Some students learn better if the lesson is hands-on and if the teacher is physically teaching them. 

This semester I am taking one online class. Some days I enjoy it. Some days I do not. One thing to avoid is multitasking. There is temptation to engage in unrelated activities such as going on your phone or talking to friends. This often causes me to lack motivation and sometimes my work does not end up getting done until the last minute. Since there is no one physically keeping me on track, like an in-person class does, sometimes this causes me to slack and not get any work done. Some tips for success in online classes are creating a schedule and sticking to it. Establishing a routine will help you maintain focus and stay organized. It can be easy to get off-track. Another important thing is finding a dedicated study space. Somewhere I like to study is the library or my desk in my room. If I go to the library or sit at my desk, I get more work done than if I sit on my bed, for example. Having a designated area for studying helps me stay focused and productive when doing my work. 

Source: www.onlinecoursereport.com 

One thought on “Navigating the Digital Classroom”

1. Hey,
    I agree with your point of multi-tasking. That is one thing I do not like about online classes. But, on the other hand there are many positive thoughts of online classes. As, they offer flexibility and convenience allowing students to learn from their own pace and comfort of their homes.