You Want Me to Live There?!

Growing up I always thought my room was so small. My parents always told me it was a normal size room and that I should be thankful and not complain. I never believed them; I mean I didn’t feel like I had room for anything. I didn’t realize how lucky I was until I started looking at colleges and seeing where I was supposed to live. I couldn’t even imagine someone living in a space so small not to mention sharing it with another person. Don’t even get me started on the beds. Most nights I’m terrified I’m going to roll off my bed because of how small it is. It’s not just the bed though, or the idea of having to share such a small room with another person though. Everything it different than what I’m used to. If I walk out of my room during the day my family isn’t just outside in the living room. Nope it’s a bunch of strangers. I can’t walk out of my room and go bother my younger brother because I’m bored. While it may sound selfish that I just miss being able to annoy my family but that’s just the way it is.

While there is plenty of negatives, I suppose there are a few positive things about living in the dorms as well. Your roommate is like required to be your friend or else its awkward, so you get a built-in friend. While I love annoying my parents, them annoying me is not my favorite. Living in the dorms is like a little vacation from your family depending on how far away your college is from them. Without parents also means you can eat whatever you want. Sometimes I just want to eat some pita bread and carrots without my mother telling me that I need to eat real food for dinner. I think that being in the dorms really make us appreciate our time at home. I miss my “terribly small” bedroom at home, eating real food that my mom makes, and annoying my brother and my dad when I’m bored. While missing home may sound so negative its actually a good thing because we learn to appreciate home more.

One thought on “You Want Me to Live There?!”

1. I agree that college can feel like a vacation. I also miss annoying my family instead of just sitting around with my “built in friend”. College really does make you appreciate your home more.