Stressing About Asking for Help

The common way I get stressed out is at school. When I don’t understand the material that the professor is teaching, I do ask for help on it. If I still don’t understand it after they went through it with me once or twice, that is when my stress starts to peak to the highest point and my self—esteem would be at its lowest. I get stressed out from that because I want to succeed and receive a good grade in that class. To succeed I know I must do well on assignments, tests and ask questions when stuff doesn’t make sense. I do not like to ask for help after going over the same topic more than twice because I feel uncomfortable and nervous about it. I certainly work better and feel more comfortable asking questions when I am working with teachers than students because there have been a couple incidents where they expected me to know something that I do not know, and I also feel teachers are little more understanding than students.

I am currently dealing with this where I need to get extra help from my teachers. There have already been a couple of times I had to advocate for myself and ask the teacher to re-explain the contents. This Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning class is hard for me because everything in the curriculum is new information that I have never been taught. I get behind not because I don’t want to do the assignments or procrastination, it is simply because I don’t understand the concepts, so I can’t apply that to my assignments. Next thing, another assignment from this class plus the homework in another class. The assignments keep piling up and my stress also getting higher and higher. I do not like to fall behind and this is most often how I get behind.