The Road to Education

Commuting to college every day has its pros and cons. As far as cons go, the main one for me would have to be time and money. To my displeasure I have been needing to fill up my gas tank twice a week. As far as time goes, I leave my house in Kaukauna around 8 am to drop my toddler off at daycare, and by the time I get to school it is 8:45. I can only imagine how much longer the commute will take during the winter with the inevitable backups on the highway. I feel like I am balancing a million things in my schedule, so ultimately I feel a bit overwhelmed at times. Also, being this far away from home has caused scheduling conflicts with work because I am too tight on time to go that day but thankfully my boss is understanding. Another con is that it is hard to feel part of at school because I cannot be as involved as students living on campus. I have duties at home that require my time and attention, so I am unable to attend as many student activities as most would. 

Although my free time is cut a bit shorter, there are some pros to commuter life as well. I had mentioned that money spent on gas is a con, but on the flip side I do not have to pay for a meal plan or a dorm room. Yes, I am paying for rent and food at home making the money aspect even, but I can sleep and eat in the comfort and privacy of my home which means I also do not have to adjust to moving away from my family like the typical college student does and I have the privilege of feeling at home all of the time. Last but not least, in my opinion the food at school is pretty good, but I do appreciate the fact that I get to cook whatever I want to eat at home. The truth is, I do not have the option to stay on campus even if I wanted to. All that I can do is make the most of my circumstances and continue to look at the positives and towards my future.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/woman-at-gas-pump