My Second Home

My dorm room, to me, is like my second home. But as a saying goes ‘each coin has two sides’. I would like to start with the shortcomings of residential life. First, the residential life for us freshmen means that we share the room with others as a premise, so we may lack a bit of private space for ourselves, which makes us too transparent.  We may need a bit of our own space to release ourselves and hide some private secrets. Secondly, residential life means sharing the use of large electronic appliances. For example, I live in an apartment where we only have two washers and dryers for dozens of people. Thus, we need more time to wash our clothes due to the lengthy waiting time. Sometimes, we even must wait for another day.

-from own shooting

But for me, the pros of dormitory life outweigh the cons. Our dormitory is warm, like home. In terms of amenities, it has pretty good features. We have a super large refrigerator where we can keep lots and lots of things like ice cream, frozen foods, and fruits for easy food storage. We also have a small kitchen where we can cook, and although I don’t know how to cook for now, I’m determined to cook lots of good food to share with my roommates. My roommate also brought a TV and a microwave, which enriches our lives. But I think the definition of home cares more about its atmosphere, and I think I am very lucky to have met my three roommates. They are all very friendly. For example, we often spend evenings in the living room sharing interesting stories about our lives and are happy to share the differences in our cultures and customs. They also drive me to Walmart to do my shopping and my roommate cooks tacos for me. And then when people are asleep or on the phone, we whisper softly so as not to disturb them. I really like this dorm room atmosphere. I look forward to my future dormitory life, and I hope that my second home will become better and better!

(delicious noodles made by my roommate)

-from own shooting

(Me and my dear roommates)

-from own shooting