Love the commute but I might fall asleep at the wheel

Being a commuter is hard at times. Not only do you have to wake up earlier, you also have less time to sleep because you need extra time to get to campus. Typically on Tuesdays and Thursdays I wake up at 7:00. It’s about a 15 minute drive to school if the train doesn’t come and block traffic. I’m near the part of town where I have to pass by the train and some days I am not lucky. Of course I always leave early enough to get to school on time but I have had some close calls. I was even a little late to the meeting about our first essay for writing because of the train. My car isn’t built for the highway so I need to continue taking the backroads for a while. Besides the early wake up call and the drive, we cannot forget gas money. I try to only use my car for school. Since I live at home, I can use the other cars at my house for errands, but often my mom makes me use my car for other stuff so I better get a job soon! Of course having the freedom of dorms is tempting but also expensive so I will stick to commuting for now. 

Commuting however has its benefits. While driving to campus, it’s nice to listen to some music. It’s also a peaceful drive since I don’t take the highway. Being a commuter, it’s a small price to pay for not having to live in the dorms. I have only heard terrible things about living in certain buildings and the laundry situation is a mess. Living at home definitely has some perks. I can leave campus when I want and I have a separate place to go from school. So, while the dorms are ok, I think I would feel like I was always at school. Living on campus is an extension of school and at some point it would feel like just a semi private room of study. Commuting allows me to separate both worlds.

One thought on “Love the commute but I might fall asleep at the wheel”

1. Kind of thinking back on my decision not going to lie. Living at home sounds really temping right about now. The laundry is horrible in the dorms! I am happy that you are happy with your decision about staying at home. I would love to have a little bit of music time before class, but I am in too much of a rush.