Balancing Act

My view of college my whole life was that it was a fun, carefree time. The movies I watched growing up always showed kids having fun and going on adventures. My mom warned me that college wasn’t going to be just a fun, laid back experience, but I didn’t expect it to be as stressful as it is. My main priority being here is school, and finding that balance with the fun aspects of college has been something I’ve had to get used to. One of my biggest challenges has been finding the time and motivation to get everything done. It can get really stressful juggling so many things at once. A struggle I have is stressing over everything I have to do instead of sitting down and planning how I can get it all done. 

Overall, I’d say my biggest stressor is feeling overwhelmed. I am constantly thinking about my classwork, my schedule, what I have to do tomorrow, dance, and more. Even though I enjoy having a lot to do, it can be hard navigating it all at once. Trying to plan when I’m going to do my homework around the times I have practice and other activities has been challenging for me. I tend to stress about my class work and other things I have to do because I worry I will run out of time to do it. Being undecided, exploring potential majors and career paths has also been a recent stressor of mine. Looking into different options has been overwhelming because I’m interested in multiple things. Having to deal with all of these things at once has helped me be able to work through them. The adaptation of college life has been stressful, but I am confident it will get easier with time.

Source: The Yellow Jacket