Who’s in Charge Here… Me?

From being your typical 10 pm curfew-bound teen with no exceptions, to stepping into a dorm room infested with spiderwebs, my worldly possessions fitting into three laundry bins, and a quick wave goodbye from my family, I finally found myself with something I had dreamed of since middle school – freedom. As I peered out of my window and scanned my event calendar for the upcoming week, a mixture of excitement and melancholy washed over me. My schedule was filled to the brim, leaving little room for free time. But, regardless, I was looking forward to my journey at UWGB. After setting up my room, I spent the rest of the week making new friends and getting used to the idea that now, I was in charge of my own decisions.

Living on my own came with its own set of pros and cons. On the plus side, I could choose my own curfew and do whatever I pleased whenever I pleased. In theory, I could stay out all night, skip classes, and spend my days as I saw fit, free from the watchful eye of my mother, constantly dictating my every move. However, there’s something I’ve come to realize which may be seen as a con – I don’t actually do any of those things. I still wake up at 6 in the morning, and I make sure I’m fast asleep before the clock strikes 11 pm. I could leave my bed unmade or let my rug go unvacuumed, but the small habits I picked up from my mother continue to influence me to this day. Sometimes, it feels as though she’s still pulling strings in the back of my head. Perhaps, in the end, I’ve turned out more like her than I ever anticipated. But, in some ways, I can’t help but wonder if that’s such a bad thing.

Always and forever, Mint.

Source: https://nestingdolls.co/collections/matryoshka