Trusting the Process

Trusting the Process 

With the first month of being a student at UWGB complete, I can say it has been one new and very different ride than what I expected. The high school experience I had consisted of being assigned some homework, going, doing, and repeating. That cycle of doing the same thing for years drained me and the only thing I could look forward to was the fun of college. I had always believed that college was a place where endless opportunity and freedoms would allow for almost a fresh start. With moving into the dorms and being responsible for myself, I thought there would be nothing but good times and minimal homework during the week. I also thought my professors would be like those who are at UW Madison or Harvard, busy and fast teachers. But I would soon learn that this was not the case.

In reality, the situation I originally thought would occur is almost completely different to what I’ve experienced. Being a college student does indeed offer far more freedom than I had as a high school student. The two factors being I’m an adult now, but also the fact I’m responsible for myself and no one is exactly forcing me to do anything.  College, however, is repetitive to me academic wise. Going to class, going home, finishing assignments and repeating. Another thing I’ve had a reality check with is the fact college is not all fun, but much of it is academic. This distorted idea mainly formed from my history of watching college movies such as Animal House or Real Genius. Finally, my professors are nothing like what I thought they would be. They are genuine, caring, and professional people. They care about us students, but they’re also straightforward with us. My experience overall has been very positive. Is it what I thought it would be…no. But am I disappointed, absolutely not. I’m ecstatic for the future.