The Price of Freedom

Ask someone on the street what they think of the concept of freedom, and you’ll almost certainly get a positive answer. Freedom has been something to aspire and work towards since ancient times. What isn’t told often is that freedom isn’t free. Freedom comes with a price and that price is responsibility and a whole lot of stressful decisions. College has been a freeing experience for me, and like previously mentioned that freedom wasn’t without hardship. My first semester I abused my newly found freedom of choice by choosing not to attend my classes for the first five weeks of class. This made it impossible for me to pass these courses and I ended up failing them. As you can see, being your own boss means you are responsible for yourself and it means you are the only person who can be blamed for shortcomings.

However, there are also many pros of being your own boss and having increased freedom. For all its cons, the pros of freedom associated with college life are extensive. The ability to go anywhere, anytime, with anyone is very freeing. I often times spent the night at my ex’s place (we were dating still at the time) and that would’ve never been approved if I was back home as we lived almost an hour apart and our parents would have never allowed it. I also had the ability to choose classes at different times in the day, whereas, high school was set classes at set times. I used that ability to keep my Fridays free this semester and having the choice to have a whole day empty was something I really appreciate about the “be your own boss” aspect of college living. (source of image is brave.com/images)

none