Navigating Change

Just a short year ago, the word college would send a chill down my back. I always knew I wanted to go to college, but the thought used to terrify me. I’ve always been an extrovert ready to try new things and meet new people, but thinking about college made me act a different way. I always had my friends, or at least one, ready to try to new things with me. Before school started, I was faced with overwhelming thoughts of am I ready for this? The workload, dorm life, time management, and even doing my laundry alone were all going to be new to me. Imagining juggling everything at once scared me and I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to handle it all. I feel like my parents have always held my hand though everything and I was nervous to figure it out on my own.

Now a year later, it’s crazy to compare my predictions with my experiences. While college isn’t at all how I expected, it hasn’t been bad. I’ve had my moments such as getting lost or locked out of my room, but overall, I’ve been surviving. My workload is a lot lighter than I expected. I didn’t realize that I would be able to choose how I spend my time as much as I’m able to. I’m starting to get used to my new schedule with dance and classes and I am surprised how easy it’s been. I have found a good balance between schoolwork and my social life, which is probably the most shocking thing to me. I wasn’t expecting to have so much freedom and it’s nice to be the one in charge of myself.

Source: Pootlepress