What Am I Proud Of?

College is a very big transitional time for everyone in their lives. A lot of things change with being away from home, going out into the “real world”, living with a roommate. There is so much change and it is sometimes hard to be proud of yourself for handling college. Looking at how I initially handled leaving my
family for college, I am very proud of myself for how far I’ve come. I have been able to go home for at least one day each weekend since classes have started, so I feel like that is easing the leaving home aspect. My roommate and I don’t really talk either, we just kind of live with each other. I don’t really mind as she has her friends and hobbies, and I have my friends and hobbies. I have been good with making friends right away too. My freshman year of high school I only talked to two people I went to grade school with because I was nervous. I got more outgoing throughout high school but was expecting the same freshman year scenario to happen where I don’t talk to anyone. Luckily, that is not the case.

The biggest thing I would say that is helping me feel more at-home is how involved I am getting on campus. I was very involved for my junior and senior years of high school, so I knew I wanted to get involved right away in college. During OrgSmorg, I signed up for DECA, Zeta Omega Tau sorority, the hip hop team, and to be a student ambassador later this year or next. While I am involved with a lot of extracurricular commitments, I am doing quite well handling the academics. In my opinion, the workload hasn’t been much different compared to how it was at my high school. I am using a color code system that I have been using sine fourth grade for the different days an assignment is due, and with how well it has worked in the past, why would I stop when I got to college? While it has been hard lately to find motivation to get my work done during free time, I tend to remind myself, it will be worth it.

my sorority on bid day