I’m In Charge…Now What?

For many college freshmen, including myself, this is the first time we have had to live on our own and be in charge of our lives. This new experience can be exciting and scary all at the same time. There are many pros and cons of being my own boss, but let’s start with the pros. There is a new sense of freedom that comes with living on my own that can be liberating. For example, now that I am in charge of myself I can decide when I want to start my homework and how late I want to stay up. If I want to stay up all night binge watching my favorite show, there is no one to stop me. Despite having this freedom it is important to take care of myself. Living on my own also pushes me to be more responsible. Now I have to do things like my laundry and dishes. At first this may not seem like a good thing but it is actually beneficial for preparing myself for the future and helping me become independent.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/hidden-symptoms-of-stress.html

There are many good things about being in charge of my own life, but there are also some not so good things that come with. A big thing about living on my own can be loneliness. When I start to miss my family and friends back home it can make me feel pretty down. While being my own boss it can be easy to quickly become overwhelmed and stressed out. Time management is extremely important in college and if I did not have the best time management in high school it can be hard to keep up. When I live on my own there is no one to remind me to do my work; instead it is entirely up to me. While these things are cons to living on my own there is still room for improvement. There are resources to go to if I need help, but I have to go to these resources. No one will force me.