Don’t Freak, It’s Just the Greeks

Joining Greek life can be very scary if you know nothing about it. In the movies, they tend to show the Sororities and Fraternities in a very negative light. For example, in films such as Sydney White (2007), the sororities participate in hazing the potential new members, and in Legally Blonde (2001), the current members were all blonde, dumb, and rich. I had never really thought about joining a sorority. I had seen these types of films that only show the negative stereotypes of sororities. I wasn’t sure if Greek life would be for me. I had just assumed that all of them would be stuck up and rude, but I was completely wrong.

When I went to their booths at “Meet the Greeks,” I met some of the nicest girls I have ever met. I immediately clicked with the girls from two of the sororities. Two weeks later the bid week activities started. I went to Pi Beta Phi’s speed friending night where small groups of us sat at the tables and a couple current members would rotate between each table and talk to us for a bit. At first, I thought it would be scary to meet and talk to all these new people, but it was really easy. I fell in love with all of the girls and the environment that they created. They were all incredibly easy to talk to and I could tell that they cared about what I had to say. At the end of that week, I knew I had gotten two bids, but I knew there wasn’t a choice. I knew that I was going to choose Pi Phi. On September 22, I ran home: to my sisters.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=991224658624380&set=ecnf.100032105663044