Blog #1; Pleasant Surprises

Yay!

Surprises have never been pleasant for me, so for me to be writing about pleasant surprises is a shock. Actually, I have always strongly disliked surprises, whether it was for my birthday or Christmas, I have never really liked them. In fact, I tried to avoid surprises as much as I could, even going as far as to look in my parents “Recently Purchased” online to see what they may have gotten for me. When I was too young to think of looking online, I would always figure out where my parents hid the gifts and I would try looking at them. Though soon enough my parents figured me out, and started getting smarter about their hiding spaces. I assumed that college was going to be a  surprise at every corner, and it is, but what I did not assume is thatI would actually like a lot of the surprises. It turns out that there are quite a few surprises I like. This being said, there are still a lot of surprises I do not like when it comes to my experience here so far. I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed how beautiful the campus is, that I like all of my teachers, and more. 

Source: Shutterstock

The thing I enjoy most is the community at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. I guess I assumed that since my high school was not inclusive and accepting of everyone, it would not be any different in college. Though that is anything but the case. The community in my dorm and classes has been extremely kind, accepting, and welcoming towards me and everyone around. The first night that the freshman moved into the dorms almost the entire dorm got together and walked to the chapel in the woods. The entire night was so fun and ever since then our dorm has been very close. During my exploration of the campus that day, and everyday so far, I have seen the many beautiful sights this campus has to offer. Part of my exploring was finding my classes. My classes, while easy to find now, were difficult to navigate in the beginning. These classes consist of smart and kind peers, and helpful teachers. The teachers being so kind, helpful, and their want for me to succeed was one of the best surprises so far. Overall the community, campus, and academics have all been a pleasant surprise.