2021-2022 Civic Scholars: Ava DeGroot

Hi! My name is Ava DeGroot. I am a sophomore here at UWGB, planning to graduate in the spring of 2023. I am a Psychology major with an emphasis in mental health, and planning on adding a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies. This semester I am an intern at the Boys and Girls Club of the Greater Green Bay, under the supervision of Johanna Wicklund, the COO of the organization. Currently, my two major projects are working on teen outreach and recruitment, which involves analyzing data and coming up with ways to bring the teen voice back into the club. The second project is working on volunteer outreach, by organizing interviews, compiling data, and aiding the reinstatement of our volunteer applications. I work
closely with the leadership team to assist with recruitment tactics and the creation of messaging and marketing materials, as well as provide input for programs and activities. I am beyond excited for the rest of the semester with this organization!

I have enjoyed both of my projects so far with the company, however, I am most excited about working with the leadership team to improve the volunteer process. I have always been involved in my community, from volunteering at a young age, through high school organizations– in which I was president of our service club: Key Club– all the way to college and hopefully beyond. Due to my passion for volunteering, I was intrigued to hear of the opportunity to work on the “other
side”. Instead of reaching out to organizations to volunteer, I am part of the organization that people reach out to. It is a change of perspective, but it has allowed me to challenge my thinking and give advice on what volunteers look for in an organization. I am looking forward to our progress with volunteer outreach, and can not wait for it to be published!

Ava DeGroot