Faculty are periodically asked to check their courses for students who are not engaged with the course and report these students in Navigate so that advisors can follow-up with the student. This page outlines the main tools that can be used to check a Canvas course for students who are not engaged.
Please note that these Canvas tools are imperfect, so CATL does not recommend that they be used for grading participation in your course.
Instructors can use the New Analytics tool in their Canvas course to view a sortable table of student participation data that includes the last participation date, page view count, and participation count for each student. A list of what Canvas counts as participations can be found in this guide. Here is how you can view this table in your course’s New Analytics page:
- Click the New Analytics button that is located on the right side of the course home page or click the New Analytics link in the course navigation menu.
- In the New Analytics page, click the Students tab to view the table of student participation data.
- Click on any table column’s header to sort the list of students by that column’s data.
Students who have not engaged with the course at all will have no or very few page views counted in this table.
Instructors can look more closely at individual students by clicking their names. Please reference this Canvas guide for more information on using New Analytics to view individual student participation statistics.
Please note that data in New Analytics refreshes once every 24 hours, so this page may not reflect recent activity in the course. The date and time the data was last refreshed are visible near the top of the page under the “Average Course Grade.”
Course Access Reports
If greater detail is needed, instructors can view a list of course pages that a student has accessed by viewing that student’s course access report. Here’s how to view the course access report for a student in your course:
- Open the People page of the Canvas course by clicking People in the course navigation menu.
- In the list of students, click on the student’s name.
- In the sidebar that appears on the right side of the page, click on the student’s name.
- Click the Access Report button located on the right side of the user details page.
If the access report is empty, the student has not accessed the Canvas course.
The list of students on the People page in your Canvas course contains some student participation data, including the last activity date and total activity time. Students with no date listed under the last activity column have likely never accessed the course.
The reported total activity time does not track time spent viewing the course on the Canvas mobile apps and is prone to other measurement errors, so it is often an inaccurate representation of a student’s actual engagement with a course.
One point of confusion for instructors with the People page is the presence of an “inactive” tag after a student’s name. This tag indicates that the student has dropped the course in SIS; it is not an indication of disengagement from an enrolled student.