Teaching and Learning Community: Capstone Experiences
To create a community of practitioners invested in providing learners a cumulative learning experience that integrates learning across the curriculum and promotes the development of the whole person. To share what we learn and what we do with our colleagues.
- How do we ensure the capstone experience serves instructor, student, programmatic and institutional goals?
- How might we use the capstone experience to promote integrative learning and deep reflection through a problem-focus approach?
- How do we balance the real issues facing our seniors—particularly the formidable transition that lies ahead of them—with our goals for learner and personal development? In other words, how do we avoid the neoliberal trap (student success=retention, graduation, and job placement) without ignoring the very real pressures and concerns our students experience?
Possible Learning Outcomes:
- Acquire a personalized understanding of the purpose of a capstone experience that balances institutional and scholarly expectations with your (and your students’) dreams for the course.
- Explore, isolate, and design learning assessments that promote learners’ achievement of your experience’s goals and objectives.
Emergent Outcomes and/or Goals
- What do you wish to learn and do this year?
- Caroline & Kate: Help with institutional assessment of the capstone to design the best possible resources and development opportunities to support instructors.
- Monthly meetings
- Assessment design/re-design