I gave a talk tonight on anger for the UW-System Alumni Link event here in Green Bay. During the talk, I provided six anger-related facts and promised they could find more information on Twitter or via Facebook.
I also promised I would tweet out a survey where they could learn more about the types of angry thoughts they may have. Here is that survey.
Here are the six facts with links to additional information:
- Anger is one of the four most basic emotions along with sadness, fear, and joy. Learn more.
- Witnessing aggressive expressions of anger at work leads to a decrease in creativity and productivity. Learn more.
- A fair workplace, where employees understand decisions and feel they are treated with respect, is associated with less employee anger and greater productivity. Learn more.
- Research shows that women who express anger at work lose influence over their peers, whereas men tend to gain credibility when they express anger. Learn more.
- Anger is the most viral emotion online, spreading faster than sadness, fear, or joy. Learn more.
- Letting it out (aka catharsis) doesn’t work; it likely makes things worse. Learn more.