No worries! I’m here to help. I’ve read a lot of application statements and I’ve collected some tips on how to complete the statements with ease:
1) Write it in a format that allows for spell check. Trust me people. We are spell check babies, we need it. The UW-System application doesn’t have spell check in it. Don’t free type in the statements…we see way too many spelling mishaps!
2) The first statement is about your most important activity and why…please remember we are looking for evidence that you are going to be successful in college (which means graduate from UWGB) so please remember to make a connection from your most important activity to your future success. Volleyball is fun, but what skills did you learn that are going to help you be successful in college?
3) The second statement is about what contributions do you bring to the UWGB campus. Write about what makes you different and special. What experiences have you had or taken advantage of that will enhance our learning environment? Brag about your accomplishments! Students are notoriously bad at doing this. My suggestion- Have someone one who loves you read your draft. They will add good things you’ve forgotten.
4) The third statement is your opportunity to share ANYTHING else. What to write there? Easy, if there is anything that impacted your classes, grades, ACT, and/or life while in high school, this is your chance to tell the story behind the evidence. Tell us what was going on but don’t forget to share what happened after. What did you learn? How will that experience help you be successful in college? Too many people tell the sad stories, but forget to include the “so what.” Please use this statement to tell us the whole story.
5) Ask for help! If you’re stuck and you need help. Email us email@example.com or call 920.465.2111. We want help you complete this application so you can enjoy basking in the glow of being done with college applications and start thinking about all the fun you’re going to have at UWGB.