If you open up a page or post after logging in only to see that the page you want to edit is empty it is likely because of a bad character. Bad characters are often a result from copying content from Word documents and pasting that content into the editor.
Some things to note:
- The system can’t process these characters correctly when it’s loading the editor so it won’t load anything at all.
- If you click the update button when you see nothing in the editor it will remove your content from the front-end of the site.
- Even though you see a blank screen in the back-end, on the front-end the information will still be displayed (unless you update).
- The original content is still retained in the database which allows it to show up on the page on the front-end.
- If you accidentally click the update button you can always go back to a previous revision by clicking the Browse link in the Publish box
How to fix the problem:
- Copy the content from the original source or the page again.
- Re-paste it into the editor using the “Paste from Word” button.
- If the character is still there find it and delete it.
You can prevent this problem from occurring by using the “Paste from Word” button mentioned above in most situations. Using the “Paste from Word” whenever you paste content for your site from Word will also remove bad formatting information that Word adds when you copy content. This formatting information can cause issues like this and has the added effect of preventing your site’s style sheet from properly formatting your content. This makes the content you pasted looked different from the rest of your site breaking consistency.